Unable to create instrument tracks from preassigned audio/midi track

Mánibranðr Studios

Question

Okay so here's the situation, I had a mega rack in Kontakt with 13 instruments loaded, and I wanted to split the tracks into multiple instances of Kontakt to modularize the workflow. So I opened another instance, deleted the loaded instruments, then reloaded the instruments in another instance, before splitting the instrument tracks to properly assign them to the new synth. Then when I tried to re-emerge the tracks, I get an error message telling me that they need to be assigned to the same synth. This is confusing, because they are.

What am I missing here?

5 answers to this question

I'm not 100% sure I've got the exact picture, but it sound like you are using Kontakt the way I often use East West PLAY.  When I've got multiple instruments loaded, I assign each to its own MIDI channel and create separate MIDI tracks for performances. 

You may need to adjust the settings panel before opening Kontakt to allow for multiple audio outputs.

Hopefully the update they just gave to Kontakt (6.3.1) will solve this. I have had weird behavior this week using Kontakt in CbB.  Normally I use Studio One but decided to write a song in CbB and use Kontakt. Can't seem to get multi-instruments to respond properly. Have to use single instances of Kontakt for each VSTi.

9 minutes ago, Nigel Mackay said:

@Keith Dunwoody Don't know about Studio One, but in Cakewalk when you add Kontakt in the dialog you must select All audio outputs, and not leave it at the default of First.

It is always possible to add additional audio and MIDI tracks after adding a synth. There is no requirement to add all the I/O tracks possible for a synth when instantiating the plug-in.

There are a couple of ways plug-ins handle multi-I/O. Some have configuration options within the plug-in, some provide multiple dlls with different numbers of inputs and outputs, some do both.

There could have been some sort of setting that I had missed that prevented the creation of instrument tracks, I just got around it by just saving the multis in an empty project, deleted the instruments in the project and just remade the instruments in another instance. I then manually copied everything over from the orphaned MIDI tracks.