Mixing with real-time effects

I use Sonar X1, and with my band's new album having reached mixing stage, I wonder if there is a way to manipulate FX parameters (e.g, changing settings in an EQ plug-in) while the track is playing, rather than having to stop playback, change the parameters, OK and resume playback. Sorry if this is a silly question, but on my system (very old - Windows XP), it doesn't work.

I do realtime FX manipulation with the z3ta+ FX plug-in. I am pretty sure I did it in X1 on my XP. On my Win 10 PC with Cakewalk I have been using a nanoKontrol to control an FX parameter or two by using MIDI learn. Its a personal thing (the use of z3ta+ and the nanoKontrol); for me sliders is much easier to use than knobs, a mouse, etc.  You can probably use the midi controller of your choice and the plug-in of your choice, if it supports midi learn.  Just offering it as an idea to look into if it appeals to you, fits your work flow, works with your plug-in of choice, etc.

ADDENDUM: FYI, my current project has a pro-channel EQ (see below).  My nanoKontrol is not hooked up at the moment, buy just tested one of the knobs being controlled by a usb controller knob. It works, too.  If the use of remote control midi appeals to you, I can try it with X1 on my XPSP3 PC.

image.png.49c10161a31fc08c543ef92122a9bbc6.png

Edited by User 905133

Short answer to your not-silly question: yes, you can record any automatable parameter in real time. It's not an uncommon practice.

It's called "automation recording". You'll find it much more ergonomic to use a hardware control surface, but that's optional. You can do it with just a mouse, it's just a little awkward.

Here's one reference to get you started.