Film Scoring with Cakewalk by Bandlab. Is it possible?

Hi, I am not entirely new to Cakewalk, as I had home studio 2002 as well as a more recent version.  It was quite easy importing and playing video in those older software programs,    For some reason, I am having great difficulty trying to figure out how to play the actual video I have imported in Cakewalk by Bandlab.  I need a DAW that works with video, where you can play the video file, and record in real time with music.   When I try to import a video, I see a track that basically says VIdeo Thumbnails are Currently Hidden.  When I click show thumbnails, that is exactly what I get.  Thumbnails.  When I play the file, the time marker simply scrolls to the right over the video thumbnails.  But no video plays.  Then I noticed where it said to hold Alt Shift 2 to open the Video View, but when I do this absolutely nothing happens.  I've tried both ways - right clicking on the video thumbnails and clicking Video View, as well as holding down Alt Shift 2.  Neither way works.  I've tried both with .MOV quicktime files as well as AVI and MP4.  All the videos load in as thumbnails, so I don't see why it should be such a problem to actually play the video.  Can anyone think of a reason why Video View would not be showing up in my software?  My computer is sort of old, but I've had no problems importing videos into FL Studio, so I don't see why it should be so difficult with Cakewalk.  It's probably something really simple and stupid, but for the life of me, I can't figure it out.  Please help if you can.  Thanks!

Edited by Christopher Moyer

5 minutes ago, Craig Anderton said:

There are two different video engines. This information about switching between video platforms might be helpful to you. 

For what it's worth, I've scored hundreds of commercial videos using Sonar. I  haven't needed to do any since Cakewalk replaced Sonar, but presumably, it's possible with Cakewalk as well.

Yes, the link still applies and the video handling features in CbB are the same as SONAR Platinum.

I continue to score to video in CbB. It still continues to work with the basic functionality it has always had through the Sonar versions, 'tho with some quirks. Some discussion of those issues and the inherent problems related to them as explained by Noel are discussed in a thread here.

Although I agree that the OP's issue is most likely the video view being "blocked" by the Workspaces set-up as mentioned above. It's almost always the cause of view problems. When I can't find my glasses in the morning, I go to Workspaces, choose None, and boom! there's my glasses. 😉

• Haha 2