Question on Editing/Creation/Constraints for Synth Parameter Automation Envelopes

I've been learning to create automations for adjusting a VST instrument parameter. I open the automation lane for the instrument and can draw in a nice curve (saw, triangle, sine, etc.) and have the automation nodes map to snap to points. I want to add other constraints to my curve such as the amplitude of the effect, or a range of the amplitude. As an example, modifying the pitch (for vibrato) or volume (for tremolo), I can use a sine curve snapping to a nice 1/8th or 1/16th note and get a really cool sounding effect (this would be for a VST that doesn't offer these effects - this is a rather hypothetical example I chose to teach myself how to do these automations). But my curve has a rather freehand looking amplitude - I can't seem to draw a straight line.

So my question is, does Cakewalk have a way to constrain my curve to a specific peak values (positive and negative). I'm suspecting not but hoping for a pleasant surprise. I've searched the Cakewalk Reference Guide and tried to search the discussions here (and got 140+ pages of results). I do actually like the results I'm getting with the freehand wanderings, but I can envision a time when I want a clean or exact result. I'd consider an LFO, but I don't think that ties directly to the tempo map the way locking the automation nodes to the snap grid.

20200625 Playing With Automation.png

Edited by John Sandlin
Add Image to show what I'm talking about

• 2 weeks later...

So I did find a partial solution - Control-Shift while drawing the automation will hold the amplitude constant. Of course you have to draw to that amplitude first before pressing Control-Shift - so there is a short bit that is going from 0 to the amplitude you want (like the beginning of my picture in the previous post), but it will hold constant from then on. Another reason to have blank space at the beginning of a track so there is room for that.