Josh Wolfer

Feature: Partial clip gain via control shortcut + selection

Posted (edited)

*edit
Looks like this can partially be done already via the method mentioned in the second comment. woot. So the this request really is about having a method to quickly adjust clip gain in selected parts, out side of the clip gain envelope.

I just discovered that you can hold control and click drag from the middle of a clip and instantly change the overall clip gain. SUPER HANDY!!! No more having to middle click -> clip gain automation.

What would be even better is if I could make a selection of part of a clip and then control+click drag would change just the gain for the selection, eliminating the need to add or adjust nodes. 

And what'd be even better is if for this method of gain editing, worked outside of the clip gain envelope!

There are two distinct reasons why Clip gain needs to be modified:

1. Static adjustments (My #1 repeated workflow). 
2.  Automate a slope over time or more complex gain automation over time.

There's would be better separated into 2 workflows within Cakewalk, instead of the one-size-fits-all approached. More details below.

1. Adjust a quieter or louder section of a clip to be more even with the rest of the clip. This is basic static, up or down.  

image.png.4c36057aaec7c5e0e62390ec692f44a5.png

For something like this, why am I messing around with nodes? I should be able to select the area and control click it to move the whole selection up or down. 
I suggest for an edit like this, you just:

• Change the clip drawing somehow to visually show that it has been modified from the original (maybe a different outline, or shaded color)
  • Show the wave form change (this already happens thanks to the last update)
  • Not show this change as part of the clip gain automation.
  • This should not be restricted to the +6dB limitation of clip gain automation. You should let me boost to my hearts content. This is a 64 bit internal audio engine. Cakewalk already supports 32bit float clips being beyond "0dB". This should be relatively trivial to implement.

Adjust the gain over time (automation)

image.png.36cdf43a2f48096a2d2a510b58b3dc23.png

This type of gain automation needs to have a visual line to track complex changes over time. There is no better way to do this kind of automation than how it is already implemented in Cakewalk.

• Having a 6dB cap on this makes sense, because for the most part, once your clip is leveled the way you want it, you don't really need to automate more than 6dB up in a slow. I'd personally say 10dB is more reasonable, but that's just my opinion. 

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE you if you implemented this. This is one of the biggest hindrances I run into when doing film sound. I have to make A LOT of gain edits. Some people work around this by splitting the clip apart (alt clicking) and then adjusting the clip gain on the split sections. This works, but it's a pain in the butt still. Optimal work flow, would just be to use the partial selection on the clip and adjust from there using control click. 

Please consider. I have talked to many people on the forum and they seem to also agree this is a sticking point. 

Edited by Josh Wolfer

I was just about to say what mark just did.

Drag to select/then drag up or down. this is using the smart tool.

Okay, so that works about 1/2 way for what I'd like. 

I didn't notice that behavior before, because I was holding control and clicking from the center, and you have to put the mouse on the top of the clip frame and drag from there. That is better. 

Now if there was a way to adjust the gain of the clip, outside of the gain automation, that'd be the final piece that would make this a perfect workflow for me. Clip Gain automation for movements over time and this new method for adjusting gain of a selection (without creating automation nodes and lines all over the place.).

Thanks for the tip on dragging from the top, that gets me 1/2 way to where I'd like it to be and greatly improves the work flow.