Track Templates and Multiple Hardware Outs Bug

Tez

Under WASAPI with multiple stereo hardware outs there are 4 selectable options from 1/2 to 7/8.

The simplest scenario for odd track template behavior is to create an Audio track with the primary out assigned to 1/2, insert a send assigned to 3/4, and save the track as a track template.

In a fresh project insert the track template previously saved and the “send” is not present as saved, just the primary out. Further, if the previous assignments were 3/4 for the primary and 1/2 for the send, not only is the send eliminated on the track template insert, the primary defaults back to 1/2. Similarly, if multiple sends to hardware outs were inserted, they would be eliminated.

If there’s a “master bus” already in the project with just a primary assigned to 1/2, I observed the template track primary defaulting to the “master bus”.

The above is just one case of track template functionality not as you would expect. In the case were a track template ought to generate buses and these buses send to hardware outs, there are additional problems which arise, with the generated buses. This probably should be checked out. If bus and aux track generation is not guaranteed for a track template when not already present in a project this should clarified.

• Like 1

I can duplicate this. External insert routing is not saved at all*. Buss is routed to the first hardware output regardless of which output was originally assigned

*The external insert is shown in the FX Bin but send and return routing are set to "none".

Not sure it's based on the same bug, but:

Cricketts there. I only learned that WASABI is a... well, a non-professional driver and I probably shouldn't use it, so far. No word on what's actually going wrong, my routing routine or Cakewalk itself.

Edited by chris.r

Just to clarify, This is a problem with Track Templates.  For me Project Templates are working as expected. The OP in this thread is using WASAPI but I have same issue with ASIO.

As for the problems @chris.r is having. I read those threads and understood it to be a problem with Project Templates. I do have a question about that but will post it in one of those threads later. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Base 57 said:

Just to clarify, This is a problem with Track Templates.  For me Project Templates are working as expected. The OP in this thread is using WASAPI but I have same issue with ASIO.

As for the problems @chris.r is having. I read those threads and understood it to be a problem with Project Templates. I do have a question about that but will post it in one of those threads later. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Base 57 said:

Just to clarify, This is a problem with Track Templates.  For me Project Templates are working as expected.

I concur, Project Templates under WASAPI so far hold their assignments as saved.  With Track Templates, in addition to my OP, it should be noted that if the saved template has sends assigned to Aux Tracks, which are not present in the project these Aux tracks do not get generated, maybe this is to be expected as they are not buses,  but if so why not? With regard to Aux tracks, if  a project a track has a send assigned to to Aux track, and the given Aux track is renamed, this is not automatically reflected in the sending track, but the actual assignment still persists. Just another quirk, this doesn't happen for bus assignments, which always match the bus name.

27 minutes ago, Tez said:

it should be noted that if the saved template has sends assigned to Aux Tracks, which are not present in the project these Aux tracks do not get generated

This part works for me. Make sure that all tracks, aux tracks and busses you want as part of your template are selected before you save it. However the hardware out is not recalled properly. Whether the track or the bus is routed to a hardware out it always loads routed to output 1.

• Like 1

@Base 57 Agreed, the Aux tracks need to be selected as they're just audio tracks with an aux input patch point,  but the bus does not need to be selected.  Since buses can be abandoned in favor of Aux tracks, it's tempting to think of them in the same way 🙄...

1 hour ago, Base 57 said:

However the hardware out is not recalled properly

This also applies to a generated Aux track as it's an audio, just as initially described for the audio track in my OP...

Edited by Tez
  • Like 1