The Kinks - Sunny Afternoon

steve@baselines.com

20 minutes ago, Lynn said:

I remember this song well.  I like the way you captured the sound and feel of his vocals so well.  The tone sounds a little thin to me, but it sounds appropriate.  As usual, your choice of songs is fantastic!

This was like a truly magical time in my young life - discovering what great songs the AM radio was playing...rebelling against old folks, which I guess I am now 🙂 - still rebelling though, I just don't know against what anymore LOLOL.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice cover.  Good vocals and backing tracks.  The arrangement is JUST different enough to remind the listener this isn't the original.

To my ears the stereo field is a little wide;  but that's a matter of taste.  For many songs of the era mono was the preferred mix because  the songs were played either on AM radio or a jukebox.  So the pop stereo mixes either were heavily center weighted or full left and right with little center.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

Very nice cover.  Good vocals and backing tracks.  The arrangement is JUST different enough to remind the listener this isn't the original.

To my ears the stereo field is a little wide;  but that's a matter of taste.  For many songs of the era mono was the preferred mix because  the songs were played either on AM radio or a jukebox.  So the pop stereo mixes either were heavily center weighted or full left and right with little center.

Hi Jim - thanks for leaving your feedback.  You are right.  I am trying to be more disciplined with the image widener, but haven't made it all the way back yet 🙂 - A while back I downloaded Sultans of Swing from Spotify to check the settings in Insight2 - I put a post of the results here - https://baselines.com/?p=5510 - the image was much more narrow then I anticipated compared to what I have been doing.  I guess I need to check things on the speakers more often, as I mostly use headphones.

Steve

Boy does that take me back. Love it. You dialed in the vocal very close to the original.
"telling tales of drunkeness and cruelty" One of my favorite lines for some reason.
Regarding the stereo field mentioned above, I remember listening to a Beatles album on a stereo (!) record player and noticing there was hardly any center, just way left and way right. I suppose they made it mono at the radio station?

• Like 1

Yes!  I loved that line as well - so memorable.  And yes some of those beatles stereo mixes were really weird...they were experimenting.  It was fun for anyone who was into audio at the time.  Turning down one side to hear what was going on.  I did Martha My Dear a little while back, and one side had pretty much only vocals and bass.  The beginning piano was all to one side as well.

The Beatle's Rubber Soul album was released in both Mono and Stereo versions in the US.  Stereo was some tracks full left and other full right with almost no center.  Even then it felt very strange to hear vocals and bass hard panned.

I read someplace that days were spent on getting a mono mix right but sometimes less than an hour was spent on a stereo mix.  Back in those days mono was the preferred mix for popular music and stereo the preferred mixed for classical so no one cared about pop music stereo mixes.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Jim Fogle said:

The Beatle's Rubber Soul album was released in both Mono and Stereo versions in the US.  Stereo was some tracks full left and other full right with almost no center.  Even then it felt very strange to hear vocals and bass hard panned.

I read someplace that days were spent on getting a mono mix right but sometimes less than an hour was spent on a stereo mix.  Back in those days mono was the preferred mix for popular music and stereo the preferred mixed for classical so no one cared about pop music stereo mixes.

Yeah Jim - I had read that they spent hours getting the mono track correct as well.  I think I saw it in Geoff Emerick's great book.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freddy j said:

This takes me back indeed!  I love the low Fi "60's sound to this.  You have done an great job on duplicating this cover but still you have made it your own.  BTW great job on the vocals and harmonies.

Hey thanks Freddy - vocals aren't my strong suit, but every once in a while if it's in my limited range!