The staff view has stopped showing accidentals.

pmj_rit

Capture.thumb.JPG.401a0a84412e5ea5205441a42d27ad4d.JPG

Oh how I wish there was a proper way to submit a bug report.

Many people don't use it I know. 

I use it all the time.  The staff view has stopped showing accidentals. 

Note the key signature, the selected note, and the event viewer.  In the piano roll it shows as Eb.  A very good reason for me to continue learning Reaper and other DAWs.  I paid for SONAR PLATINUM by the way. 

29 minutes ago, Mario Branchi said:

The selected note is a D# which is included in the key signature, so it's normal there is no accidental. Am I missing something?

Looks like D# to me, too.  If the PRV calls it Eb, that's a different issue.

image.png.4b456f6376b3c2f6a77977afd1571d14.png    image.png.13dbe2dc6f7affc136a1cb415644a4e7.png

Edited by User 905133

In the original screenshot, the clef is a bass clef, but the instrument is violins. That note is an extremely low one, in fact almost the lowest note that basses can reach. So the clef needs to be changed to treble, if it's for violins. As for the "spelling," it's correct, since the key is E Major (4 sharps). The note is a D#, but as I said, with the bass clef it is way out of range for the violins. Although, if you are using a general midi set, you could in theory use a violin patch and still get sound below the point where violins can't normally go (unless you tune the G string lower than G). GM sets don't limit you to notes actually playable by real instruments. You can use a piccolo patch and play it as the lowest note on a piano. Although it would sound weird.

If you are using a double clef (treble and bass together), and if you are using a violin patch and intend it only for real violins, no bass clef is necessary, only the treble. 

• Like 1

In the screenshot it is the Event Inspector that incorrectly identifies the note as Eb1. The Staff View is displaying the note properly. I can replicate this.

Apparently the PRV doesn't respect the Key Signature. With Key sig set to E (4 sharps) the PRV names D# as Eb. It is the PRV that is incorrect not the Staff View.

Edited by Base 57
added second line
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, mdiemer said:

In the original screenshot, the clef is a bass clef, but the instrument is violins. That note is an extremely low one, in fact almost the lowest note that basses can reach. So the clef needs to be changed to treble, if it's for violins. As for the "spelling," it's correct, since the key is E Major (4 sharps). The note is a D#, but as I said, with the bass clef it is way out of range for the violins. Although, if you are using a general midi set, you could in theory use a violin patch and still get sound below the point where violins can't normally go (unless you tune the G string lower than G). GM sets don't limit you to notes actually playable by real instruments. You can use a piccolo patch and play it as the lowest note on a piano. Although it would sound weird.

If you are using a double clef (treble and bass together), and if you are using a violin patch and intend it only for real violins, no bass clef is necessary, only the treble. 

3 hours ago, pmj_rit said:

Capture.thumb.JPG.401a0a84412e5ea5205441a42d27ad4d.JPG

Oh how I wish there was a proper way to submit a bug report.

Many people don't use it I know. 

I use it all the time.  The staff view has stopped showing accidentals. 

Note the key signature, the selected note, and the event viewer.  In the piano roll it shows as Eb.  A very good reason for me to continue learning Reaper and other DAWs.  I paid for SONAR PLATINUM by the way. 

Sorry about this everyone.  I'd been working too long and am tired.  Thought the Key was A major not E.

Edited by pmj_rit

1 hour ago, mdiemer said:

KS stands for Keyswitch.  Trying to put Key switches and actual notes on the same cleff gets pretty messy especially if you wan to see several parts at once.

1 hour ago, pmj_rit said:

Thanks, I'll try to remember that, for when I really do have a problem.

You can send any issues to support for sure. I like to think we're pretty good about monitoring any issues that are reported on the forum and making sure they're logged internally if not already. We're not that hard to get a hold of. 👍

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pmj_rit said:

KS stands for Keyswitch.  Trying to put Key switches and actual notes on the same cleff gets pretty messy especially if you wan to see several parts at once.

Ah, I get it, sorry I didn't catch that the note was a keyswitch. Use 'em myself, although I hate them, and much prefer CC events. I use a separate staff for the buggers also. As you say it gets crazy if you put them on the same staff. I think they were invented more for on-the-fly use, so you can change articulations in real time as you play in the notes. VST libraries should give you the option of using either one.