Barry Seymour

"I Didn't Mean To Be Unkind"

That lead guitar noodlin' between the verses is awesome! You might try some vocal thickening tricks? It's good as is but I could see it being tricky to double with all the words and the nuanced stops and starts. A tiny bit of parallel microshifting of the original, blended in low? Not so much that it comb filters or gets noticeable?

Some kind of bgv's would be a nice thing to add in spots?

Cool lyrics and I dig the overall style, like a Bruce Cockburn or a Ron Hynes.

cheers,

-Tom

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lynn said:

This is very moody and sentimental, which I like, and it showcases your terrific voice and words.  I also love the sound of your guitar, very silky.  I thought the arrangement got a little static and repetitive around the middle - perhaps a break and/or addition of another instrument, or a descending pattern from the bass might work.  But, that's nitpicking.  This is awfully close to being a gem as is.

I'm just happy the vocals aren't terrible. 😳 Read the above, I've been on a journey with this one.

The middle eight wasn't enough of a change?

Thanks for the feedback.

Edited by Barry Seymour

56 minutes ago, emeraldsoul said:

That lead guitar noodlin' between the verses is awesome! You might try some vocal thickening tricks? It's good as is but I could see it being tricky to double with all the words and the nuanced stops and starts. A tiny bit of parallel microshifting of the original, blended in low? Not so much that it comb filters or gets noticeable?

Some kind of bgv's would be a nice thing to add in spots?

Cool lyrics and I dig the overall style, like a Bruce Cockburn or a Ron Hynes.

cheers,

-Tom

Yeah, that guitar is my cheap Squire Affinity Telecaster. LOL.

You're right about the vocals; it's an odd chord progression and I've had some trouble with vocals. The more I add, the harder it is to mix.

I'll think about the BGVs. It's an old song of mine from the late 70s (!) and I wanted to keep it simple.

Thanks for the feedback and the kind words.

Edited by Barry Seymour

13 hours ago, Douglas Kirby said:

It's a good song Barry - I liked it.  I thought the lyrics were quite good. Also, I always enjoy listening to your vocal - you have a good voice.

Thanks, Douglas, you're very kind.

Edited by Barry Seymour

Thanks for the encouraging words, everyone. However, I feel like I'm going nuts. I listen to this on the headphones, it's fine. Others have said the same.  I listen to this on the nice stereo speakers and it's still not in tune. I hear missed notes, sharp notes... Eek.

I have more work to do.  Another revision coming...

Hey Barry, this is a good demo of your song -- the mix and recording are well done -- and, the arrangement is interesting--enjoyed the listen~~Allan

• Thanks 1

Barry
You sound a little flat around 1:40 and in some other spots. What I would do is use Melodyne on the voc track and see where your voice is a little bit off.  You could either re-sing those parts or just use Melodyne to tweak it.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Barry
You sound a little flat around 1:40 and in some other spots. What I would do is use Melodyne on the voc track and see where your voice is a little bit off.  You could either re-sing those parts or just use Melodyne to tweak it.

Yeah, I'm trying to get it tweaked with Graillion, and another, but it's not happening. This is actually more  a personal problem for me; I'd like to think I could just sing this better, but for some reason it's eluding me.

I appreciate the honest feedback. Going to have another go at it.

20 hours ago, bjornpdx said:

Some of the chords sound a bit tricky to me. If that's the case maybe change them to something more standard. 

Well, they were, but that's not the cause of my problem. It's turning out I lack the fine motor control I need to sing this song on pitch! It's infuriating. The louder songs, not really a problem, but the softer songs, I can't stay on pitch like I used to.

I'm embarking on a vocal training regimen, trying to get my mojo back.