Windows 10 update (v2004) messes with my audio {SOLVED}

noynekker

Since I did the latest Windows 10 update (v2004) I've had a new problem I haven't seen before with previous Windows updates . . .

If I launch Cakewalk by BandLab (latest version) my ASIO drivers (M-Audio M-TRACK QUAD) work well, but when I go to a Windows media player, or to play music in my browser there is absolutely no sound. Seems the latest Win 10 update has migrated the basic audio driver to a WDM 2.9.64 driver. I used to be able to have Cakewalk open, and go listen to mixes in Windows Media Player, or Groove Player, or go online and listen to audio in a browser . . . well, that ceased to be ! Now, I have to actually close Cakewalk and disable / enable Windows sound settings to actually be able to listen to audio. BASICALLY, CAKEWALK AND WINDOWS ARE NOT SHARING NICELY ANYMORE.

Any of you recent updatees here have this experience ? . . . or, am I simply missing some checkbox somewhere in the sea of checkboxes ?

Perhaps my 6 year old M-Track Quad drivers have been kicked into the past where they belong, or a Cakewalk setting needs adjustment. Perhaps Microsoft is reminding me to go spend money on something newer at my local audio store. If I rollback, the Update lords will roll me forward again eventually . . . please reassure me I'm not the only one who has run into this issue ? It's been 3 weeks and I have found no solution, just more grey hairs in the sea of grey hairs.

Edited by noynekker
solved

Try going into Preferences>Playback and Recording and checking the box near the top of the page that's labeled "Suspend Audio Engine When Cakewalk Is Not in Focus."

To quote the online help:   "This option allows other software to access device drivers. When this option is checked, other software can access device drivers when Cakewalk is not the focus of Windows."

If that doesn't work,  you might try downloading Audacity (free)  https://www.audacityteam.org/download/windows/  and using that to listen to mp3's,  *.wav files, etc. You might have more control over drivers that way. 

Thanks for replying William . . . I have that option in Cakewalk preferences already checked, but it still doesn't allow ASIO and WDM drivers to be shared between Windows and Cakewalk. When a "major" Windows update happens, it basically resets, and re-enables  all the audio settings, such as the Realtek onboard audio, the NVIDIA HD drivers . . . which I usually disable once again . . . I've had to go and tweak things after such an update before, but this time it seems to make no difference.

Yes, your Audacity idea may be a possibility . . . If I could assign the Asio drivers . . . they might share nicely , or not . . . thanks I'll check it out

Well scook, that's an interesting question . . . Cakewalk projects are defaulted to 24 bit - 44.1K sample rate, and it appears that Window is set the same . . . as far as I can see . . . Line In Properties, Default Format = 2 channel,24 bit, 44100 Hz . . . and I've unchecked Exclusive mode (Allow applications to take exclusive control of this device) . . . . but you got me fishing through the many Windows sound settings +  drop down menus and I think I found the correct setting to allow sharing of the drivers, it now appears to be working as before !, but I can't totally be sure which setting change actually fixed it  . . . but damn, it's working again . . . until my next windows update when I may have to go menu fishing again.

(I think it was Sound Control Panel - Line In Properties - Listen - Playback Through this Device . . . change from default playback device to M-Track Quad WDM) ??

• 2 months later...

Excellent scook, that solved my problem also.
I run Studio One at 48kHz and that was b;ocking CW.
Funny though, it didn't used to before Windows 10 v2004

Edited by Kozmyk
forgot to set replies

I have a slightly different problem which I think has been caused by a Windows update as it's only recently started happening.  The sound on my Windows 10) PC is working fine.  I then leave the PC for an hour or so and when I return there's no sound in any applications or on any websites.  I then open up Cakewalk, load a song and start playing and the sound is fine.  Close Cakewalk and the sound has returned to everything else.  It's as though Cakewalk kicks the audio back into life!

Any ideas?

• 8 months later...

On my system, after updating to Windows 2004, my Cakewalk audio is muted, and my Windows media player works fine. I use a Focusrite interface that has had no issues. I reinstalled the Focusrite drivers and that didn't fix the issue.  Intersting that WAV files inside of Cakewalk play OK... I may try rolling back the Windows update.

6 hours ago, Richard Knappen said:

On my system, after updating to Windows 2004, my Cakewalk audio is muted, and my Windows media player works fine. I use a Focusrite interface that has had no issues. I reinstalled the Focusrite drivers and that didn't fix the issue.  Intersting that WAV files inside of Cakewalk play OK... I may try rolling back the Windows update.

IMO Windows 10 is notorious for changing settings, but for me the recent updates haven't changed as much as a few years ago.  Overnight (after about 16 hours) my Win 10 1909 updated to 2004.  I found some things changed and some things didn't.  My guess is that what gets changed with the newest Win 10 update can be very different for each of us.

In my experience, automatic rollbacks after failed updates did not restore all my previous settings. So, I often had to redo my audio tweaks--including my sound settings (preferred devices, etc.).

If you used some of the handy audio tweak guides available at different sites, you MIGHT want to revisit those and redo the same tweaks you've done previously before doing the Windows 10 version rollback.

Caveat: I have no professional experience in this area, just several years of having to redo what Windows 10 has undone (much like many Cakewalk users, I suspect). 

BTW, this time I did have to re-enter my password for several third-party synths.  Fortunately, I have not yet had to re-adjust my sound device settings or the Windows Sound settings. Also, I did not have to reinstall my HDD extended partition software as I have had to do on some previous Win 10 updates.  

Edited by User 905133

6 hours ago, User 905133 said:

IMO Windows 10 is notorious for changing settings, but for me the recent updates haven't changed as much as a few years ago.  Overnight (after about 16 hours) my Win 10 1909 updated to 2004.  I found some things changed and some things didn't.  My guess is that what gets changed with the newest Win 10 update can be very different for each of us.

In my experience, automatic rollbacks after failed updates did not restore all my previous settings. So, I often had to redo my audio tweaks--including my sound settings (preferred devices, etc.).

If you used some of the handy audio tweak guides available at different sites, you MIGHT want to revisit those and redo the same tweaks you've done previously before doing the Windows 10 version rollback.

Caveat: I have no professional experience in this area, just several years of having to redo what Windows 10 has undone (much like many Cakewalk users, I suspect). 

BTW, this time I did have to re-enter my password for several third-party synths.  Fortunately, I have not yet had to re-adjust my sound device settings or the Windows Sound settings. Also, I did not have to reinstall my HDD extended partition software as I have had to do on some previous Win 10 updates.  

I appreciate your reply, thanks. I rolled back; so far most settings have been retained, so all functions as I expect... I hope the Band Lab designers can address the Windows 2004 audio issue.

On 5/29/2021 at 7:44 PM, bdickens said:

They can't, because it isn't a Cakewalk issue. It's a Windows issue.

This.

However, I always re-install my audio drivers (Focusrite - PC and Soundcraft - laptop) after a major W10 update. I just find its good practice and it hasn't let me down yet.

J

• 1 year later...
On 5/30/2021 at 3:25 PM, Jeremy Oakes said:

This.

However, I always re-install my audio drivers (Focusrite - PC and Soundcraft - laptop) after a major W10 update. I just find its good practice and it hasn't let me down yet.

J

Having issues with latest Focusrite driver in latest CWBBL on Windows 11 robust system, no other audio enabled.

Working fine days ago with prior version oft CWBBL.

96k 24-bit throughout. CW crashes and then ASIO presence disappears in CW although remains operational in Windows.

Seems only (albeit quite temporary) way to fet the Scarlet seen in CW is to reinstall driver while CW open.

Works for a few moments, then crashes. Scenario repeatable ad nauseum.

Hmmm. Here we go again. I know 'disruptive technologies' are a thing, but this is not cool.

ANY THOUGHTS?

Edited by Richard Knappen
Add screenshots

15 hours ago, Richard Knappen said:

Great. Just great.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4403683106066-Focusrite-product-compatibility-with-Windows-11

See PDF attached for screenshots of issue. The above link is on the Focusrite web site... Just found it... and it doesn't look good.

Win 11-Focusrite-CWbyBL.pdf 423.15 kB · 6 downloads

Well, upon closer looking, it appears that the Scarlet 2i2 GEN 3 units support Windows 11 yet I still get the intermittent crashing... Perhaps preferences tweaks are in order.