Performance recording - Hold Me Down

Kevin Walsh

I know I posted this before, but this is a bit of a different take.

A few folks and I talked about recording and posting some original songs that we've never really performed before and I picked this one.  Truth is, I've never recorded an actual performance of any song I've written. I always recorded one track at a time in pieces and parts and once they're done, it's damned rare that they ever see the light of day again.

So I took a deep breath and after a couple of run-throughs as rehearsal, I fired up my Logitech HD Pro WebCam C910 and let her rip.  As you can see in the video (sort of) I used a  Microphone-Parts T12 mic into an Audient ID22 interface and right on in to Cakewalk. I did two tracks, one with me on vocals and guitar (a Martin D-16GT) and one with me doing a harmony part. I did have an audio output from the web cam but I did not use it. It was a bit of a pain getting the audio and video lined up, but mixing is much easier with only one or two tracks. :)

A compressor, a little reverb, some EQ and Izotope's Ozone 9 Maximizer and this is what came out.

It's a pretty rough but it was a lot of fun doing it. I'd appreciate any feedback on mic placement, eq and any other recording technique that comes to mind.

Edited by Kevin Walsh
  • Like 2

That's a good performance for sure! The woodiness of the guitar comes through wonderfully. You might consider a slight volume boost of the vocals, and if you haven't yet done so, dip the volume just a smidge on the guitar when a vocal line is happening? Your guitar has a wonderful percussive strum transient, but that also helps wipe out the vocal just a little.

My .02 Kroners on your lovely effort!

cheers,

-Tom

I'm grateful you guys are chiming in!

Thanks DeeringAmps-tom for your kind words, it was a bit of a scary deal for me to make that video since I've not been a solo performer before, and getting a start with music pretty late in life hasn't done much for my confidence in what I'm writing or how well I can perform it.

emeraldsould-Tom, you're raising exactly the kinds of issues that I struggled with on this mix. The lead vocal and guitar were done with the same mic and are the same track, so it's unclear how I can follow  your advice with ducking the guitar while singing. (Duh, unless I just play quieter, lol).  Perhaps having two mics, one predominantly guitar and one mostly vocals? Again, you input is very much appreciated!

Edited by Kevin Walsh