AUDIO INTERFACE THREAD .. recommendations .. ( My EVO4 Arrived )

2 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

@razor7music  This would be my exact thought. Where as i would LOVE to spend a good few €100 or €1000+ on an I/F, especially in these pandemic times, I just dont have that kind of cash.

With that in mind I think I moght have the answer after a bit of research. I have settled on one of 2 devices from AUDIENT:

The ID4 ST£119 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Audient-18-90008-ID4-Audio-USB-Interface/dp/B0107YJU8Q/

The brand new EVO ST£99 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/EVO-Interface-production-audio-interface-microphone/dp/B084BGC5LR/

Have a listen to this review OF BOTH THESE Devices:

I have to say i am conflicted :D .. in a good way. Each day i veer from one to the other for different reasons. The EVO has 2 XLR/Balanced inputs and DI. The ID4 has One XLR/Balanced input and DI. The EVO is plastic, the ID4 is Metal. However the inards and the tech is top notch with Audient bringing circuitry from its high end stuff. The latency is brilliantly low.

So have a look .. thoughts here would be great especially if anyone here has an audient I/F

BTW a review with a difference of the EVO from a singers viewpoint:

Edited by aidan o driscoll

Well, I already threw my hat in the ring for the Audient ID-22, which I dearly love. Audient has definitely nailed the preamp thing, the difference between my old MOTU 8pre and the Focusrite Solo v2 I bought on a whim at GC several years ago is quite noticeable to my battered old ears. As for the latency, the best thing I can say is that I no longer futz with the settings the way I used to. It just works and works well. But then I don't really need 5ms roundtrip speeds in my workflow either.

I'd say get them both and ship back the one you don't want but that wouldn't be ethical, would it?

Edited by Kevin Walsh

Yeah, I'm leaning towards Audient as well. Though I wish they'd make version of the ID4 with two XLRs. Even though I'm just going to set it and forget it - I connect all my inputs to a Mackie 1202 (great metering) and connect its outputs to the 1st gen Scarlett 2i2 I'm currently using - I'm not a fan of the EVO's single knob with many different 'modes' design.

That said, I'll probably just get the EVO. It's $70 cheaper ($129 vs $199), has that right connectivity, and has the great advantage of actually existing, compared to some theoretical ID4-with-two-XLRs.

2 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

Let us know how it goes!

Will do .. I will be coming at it from a Guitar Player perspective. From the vid reviews above the front DI/Full jack sounds great for guitar / bass input.

Says it will be with me on 17th BUT I would say alot faster TBH. Maybe mid week next week ( Bought from Amazon.co.uk, Im in Co. Cork, IRELAND )

I am in the market for an interface that will allow me to record hardware synths, use my mic for recording and voice chatting/streaming and recording a guitar, as well as handle the MIDI setup for talking to my HW synths. I had been using my SD-50 as an audio interface for a while, and I plan on retiring it so I can dedicate its function to being a MIDI tone generator module.

What would you recommend? I am looking at the Audiofuse series by Arturia, the AudioFuse studio seems to fit my needs, but the price....ouch. The 8pre also seems nice in terms of recording options and expandability, but it lacks any form of MIDI interfacing, or direct monitoring/loopback

37 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

I am in the market for an interface that will allow me to record hardware synths, use my mic for recording and voice chatting/streaming and recording a guitar, as well as handle the MIDI setup for talking to my HW synths. I had been using my SD-50 as an audio interface for a while, and I plan on retiring it so I can dedicate its function to being a MIDI tone generator module.

What would you recommend? I am looking at the Audiofuse series by Arturia, the AudioFuse studio seems to fit my needs, but the price....ouch. The 8pre also seems nice in terms of recording options and expandability, but it lacks any form of MIDI interfacing, or direct monitoring/loopback

By that do you mean you are looking for an audio i/f with midi ports? AND you are looking for a controller keyboard?

5 minutes ago, Freyja Grimaude-Valens said:

I already have a controller keyboard, the Arturia Keylab Essentials 49.

Yip .. sorry, was a bit confused by your message :D ... So its an Audio I/F with midi in out?

A post above, the new KOMPLETT Audio 2 has midi ports at the back. A few of the Focusrite have midi ports too, and a few of the presonus I/Fs also. And then the new M-Audio I/Fs also have midi ports

• 2 weeks later...

So my Audient EVO 4  arrived from AMAZON today. All rigged up with my Lenovo Core i5 16GB and 1 TB Hd system. No prob installing though I did come a slight cropper with the FRUITY LOOPS ASIO Driver installed. It caused CW audio engine to drop out with the cursor on constant whirly thing. 

SO I uninstalled the FL Asio and the Asio4all drivers, SORTED. Works like a dream since then.

Downloaded all the freebees that came with it, done via a serial and a pin on the underside of the EVO 4 and then the evo.audio/evo4/download site

I am a loopcloud subscriber - one of the freebies is a few gigs of samples added to your Loopcloud account. Only issue with that is more on the loopcloud side. If you already have an account with them it doesnt add the Audient freebie loops so I just emailed Loopcloud and 5 mins later they added it there end.

Here is a pic of my system with CW open and the EVO 4 on the right for scale:

20200819_150211.jpg

5 hours ago, aidan o driscoll said:

So my Audient EVO 4  arrived from AMAZON today. All rigged up with my Lenovo Core i5 16GB and 1 TB Hd system. No prob installing though I did come a slight cropper with the FRUITY LOOPS ASIO Driver installed. It caused CW audio engine to drop out with the cursor on constant whirly thing. 

SO I uninstalled the FL Asio and the Asio4all drivers, SORTED. Works like a dream since then.

Downloaded all the freebees that came with it, done via a serial and a pin on the underside of the EVO 4 and then the evo.audio/evo4/download site

I am a loopcloud subscriber - one of the freebies is a few gigs of samples added to your Loopcloud account. Only issue with that is more on the loopcloud side. If you already have an account with them it doesnt add the Audient freebie loops so I just emailed Loopcloud and 5 mins later they added it there end.

Here is a pic of my system with CW open and the EVO 4 on the right for scale:

20200819_150211.jpg

I ordered an Evo4 as well. It's on it's way & I'll mainly be using it for recording guitar. 2XLRs and the Loopback function were the main selling points for me.
Can't wait to try it out!
Congratulations @aidan o driscoll !

• Thanks 1

Yes @Abhijit Singh .. very happy with it so far. Got it for same reason as you - GUITAR, with that DI on the front and hearing good reports from guitarists with this I/F.

As they say here in Ireland ( When you get your EVO ) .. Well Wear :D

Another comment I will have about it is, relatively, its quiet weighty and sturdy .. which is assuring.

• 2 weeks later...