Roope the Pirate (60’s style guitar instrumental)

Makke

Having heard your excellent work for a while now, with great guitar work (love the whammy tremelo dips!) I think I'm noticing the bass. It seems to breathe in the mix a lot less than the other instruments. It might be so 2-D as to "narrow" the  overall mix. How do you record the bass? I wonder if your interface is giving it enough depth of field, or if some compression could be backed off? I dunno.

It's not an awful bass mix, I just think it could be improved. I assume your bass is mixed right down the center?

Maybe I'm crazy but I think your awesome guitar, and even the drums, have more roomy life to them and mix width than the bass does. Maybe I'm giving you a starting point on a wild goose chase . . . sorry! 

I do like your style and the genre is always a good listen.

cheers,

-Tom

16 hours ago, emeraldsoul said:

Having heard your excellent work for a while now, with great guitar work (love the whammy tremelo dips!) I think I'm noticing the bass. It seems to breathe in the mix a lot less than the other instruments. It might be so 2-D as to "narrow" the  overall mix. How do you record the bass? I wonder if your interface is giving it enough depth of field, or if some compression could be backed off? I dunno.

It's not an awful bass mix, I just think it could be improved. I assume your bass is mixed right down the center?

Maybe I'm crazy but I think your awesome guitar, and even the drums, have more roomy life to them and mix width than the bass does. Maybe I'm giving you a starting point on a wild goose chase . . . sorry! 

I do like your style and the genre is always a good listen.

cheers,

-Tom

Thanks Tom for your reply and opinions.                                                                                                                                                                                         I didn't have a bass guitar at the summer cottage.                                                                                                                                                                   So I recorded a bass track with midikeyboard + iPad + garageband app.

The mix I did with the Sonar. And yes, the bass is mixed very near to the center. I'm still learning to mix and my hearing has deteriorated a lot from my left ear, so mixing is hard for me these days.

• Like 1