MeldaProduction Free MONASTERY GRAND

Hidden Symmetry

1 hour ago, simon said:

Does that work in the free player ( oh no it’s the kontakt player problem all over again 😀)

Good news!  I actually emailed support the other day and asked this same question. And the answer is YES, it does work with the FREE player. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The MDrummer Electronic Genres was new (to me) and I just happened to check on More Details->Installation Notes and was surprised that it says it also plays on the SoundFactory Player (or MDrummer). I just drilled into ALL of the MDrummer packs and they ALL say they play in the SoundFactory Player, so there is roughly 22GB of nice drum samples available now to anyone. I would test that before jumping into the Studio Pack downloads (20GB) with the smallest one first (i.e., the MDrummer Electronic Genres (500MB) to see if that is accurate. The Studio Pack for 2018 was incredibly impressive (and big, 14GB IIRC), but seems is available to anyone now. If so, great "deal." If someone tries it, please let others know if it works or not.

I need to delve into MSoundFactory again... I didn't realize you could set up your own instuments similar to Kontakt until I saw a comment on that fly by. After seeing the thread where the guy made a choir of his family, I want to see how "choir capable" MSoundFactory is in this regard.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Huh, I wasn't even aware that MSoundFactory had an LE and Player versions.

That's doing it right, a $99 LE version for people who don't need/want to dive into all of the features of the monster that is MSoundFactory. IMO, that's the missing piece in the Kontakt line.

Right now I'm still enjoying my subscription to EVERYTHING. Which, truth be told, is confirming my buying choices. The other Meldaproduction plug-ins have been fun to play with, but there's nothing I really need to do a mix with that I don't already have.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, mettelus said:

The MDrummer Electronic Genres was new (to me) and I just happened to check on More Details->Installation Notes and was surprised that it says it also plays on the SoundFactory Player (or MDrummer). I just drilled into ALL of the MDrummer packs and they ALL say they play in the SoundFactory Player, so there is roughly 22GB of nice drum samples available now to anyone. I would test that before jumping into the Studio Pack downloads (20GB) with the smallest one first (i.e., the MDrummer Electronic Genres (500MB) to see if that is accurate. The Studio Pack for 2018 was incredibly impressive (and big, 14GB IIRC), but seems is available to anyone now. If so, great "deal." If someone tries it, please let others know if it works or not.

I need to delve into MSoundFactory again... I didn't realize you could set up your own instuments similar to Kontakt until I saw a comment on that fly by. After seeing the thread where the guy made a choir of his family, I want to see how "choir capable" MSoundFactory is in this regard.

I've been working out what works in the free player .... and I think you'll basically lose access to the drummer stuff.  This seems to be only accessible via EDIT mode (not easy mode) and I think you lose access to this when your "demo" times out and MSoundFactory downgrades to the free version...

that new Piano will continue to work however

(I think!)

• Thanks 2

Melda is doing right by their users once again.   Honestly, MSoundFactory had no appeal to me because I still find the Melda UIs a little counter-intuitive sometimes. And MSF is a few steps up from that!  But the LE and Player versions are right down my alley - pre-made instruments that you can try out without having to design them yourself.  And guys are making NEW ones all the time. Whether or not they'll be made available to the lesser versions remains to be seen.

I really need to dig into the FREE subscription next month before it times out and play with these things to see which other Melda plugins I'll add to my "want" list.  

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, mibby said:

Honestly, MSoundFactory had no appeal to me because I still find the Melda UIs a little counter-intuitive sometimes.

I have a few of the plugs but I feel exactly the same - The UI puts me off using them.

A user posted this on the Melda forum. He's working on a reproduction of a "classic analog synths - Octave Cat".  (Disclaimer: I honestly have no idea what this is/was nor if this is a good representation of it.)  He did everything in this with MSF - even the drums...  Sounds pretty good to me though!

Just now, simon said:

I have a few of the plugs but I feel exactly the same - The UI puts me off using them.

Yes, I keep thinking I need to spend the time and get over the learning curve to get the most out these plugins. I just haven't done it yet...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mibby said:

. . . I still find the Melda UIs a little counter-intuitive sometimes. . . .

4 hours ago, mibby said:

Yes, I keep thinking I need to spend the time and get over the learning curve to get the most out these plugins. I just haven't done it yet...

I can relate--not that it is counter-intuitive, but more that it is not what I have been used to; so, for me the learning curve is steeper than things I am familiar with.  However, having started with a few personal favorites from the free collection and "graduated" to the licensed version of the free collection and then to several of the weekly 50% off plug-ins, I have found the transition to plug-ins that used the same UI features was easier.  With plug-in features that vary from what I have taught myself, the learning curve remains on the steep side.

For example, after using the free convolution plug-in, I opted for the Multi-Band version on one of the sales.  So, having learned how the basic convolution plug-in UI worked, it was pretty much one step to learn the MB feature--which I can apply to some of the other MB plug-ins.

I remember the struggles I had a few decades ago trying to teach my mother how to used a cassette tape recorder.  It's not that the technology was counter-intuitive, but she had a super steep learning curve because so many aspects of the technology were not part of her prior experience.  Similarly, I had the benefit of learning synths on a Moog at my college. So for me hardware and software synths that use features, methods, etc. that I learned ages ago come far more naturally to me than newer ones.  Also, like the PRV and the Step Sequencer, the learning curves are rather steep for me, though I know many to many other Cakewalk users, the learning curves are either very minimal or nonexistant.

I have seen others be frustrated, angry, dismissive, insulting, etc. but I think your are right on with making the time to tackle the learning curve .

4 hours ago, mibby said:

I really need to dig into the FREE subscription next month before it times out and play with these things to see which other Melda plugins I'll add to my "want" list.  

+1,000,000 [me, too]

On 6/24/2020 at 12:37 PM, mibby said:

Good news!  I actually emailed support the other day and asked this same question. And the answer is YES, it does work with the FREE player. 

Thanks for contacting them on this and for sharing the news!!!

Edited by User 905133
to add a missing word ["a few" instead of just "a"]; to change "to" to "the" [typo]
  • Like 1

As a great admirer of Meldaproduction's plug-ins and loss-leader marketing, who thinks Vojtech is a genius coder with a sense of excellence and generosity, and as someone who years ago had a big breakthrough at understanding how to really set up a compressor thanks to the Free Bundle's MCompressor, here are my insights about the plug-ins:

Whether by design or not, they are aimed at people who already know their way around processors and in most cases, want to take it to the next level. While they do sound great out of the box, they very much reward even a small bit of poking around. Press a button and a panel will slide open revealing a bunch of other options you had no idea were there. Even my beloved MCompressor, I used it for years, then one day clicked on a button and a window opened up and I discovered that it's possible to pre-EQ the detector. Later, I found that the upgrade version (when you register the whole bundle of 37 plug-ins for $50, or $25 on big sale days) lets you draw your own curves in the detector (actually, the free version might, too).

Another example, all the EQ's, even the Free Bundle MEqualizer have an amazing sounding saturation algorithm built in. I noticed it one evening while setting up the EQ, just up in the corner waiting for me to try it and be knocked out.

The reasonable prices may lead people to think otherwise, but just about every audio processor in the lineup is an incredibly deep powerhouse once you dig into the features.

As relates to the above, the documentation SUCKS. For such next-level tools, a lot of things that people have never seen before, not to be explained better to the user, is sad. I started a thread about this on the KVR forum and it went on for pages. Vojtech never even chimed in. Everyone pretty much agreed, no matter how much of a drooling fanboy they were: they loved the products but felt held back by needing more explanation. It's silly, it's the achilles heel. The same guy who waxes on and on about how the world has never seen such advanced signal processors fails to supply adequate instructions on how to use and, especially, apply these innovative processors. With Meldaproduction plug-ins I always feel like one of those people in a movie who finds a piece of alien technology that does all this amazing stuff, but they don't know exactly what all it can do, and part of the suspense/humor is whether they'll be able to figure it out. Like the Stargate franchise.

The YouTube videos are helpful, but not everyone learns well that way and they are not a substitute for a good manual.

As relates to the above, the presets can be too sparse, and to put it politely, not descriptively named. The online preset exchange is a brilliant idea, however.

If you dig really deeply into working with oscillators and multiparameters, despite the fact that you could probably make a full-time career out of learning how to use them on something as simple as MEqualizer or MCompressor, what you learn on one processor readily translates to the others.

One last thing: IMO, MComb nukes every other filter of its type that I've tried. I didn't know this for a long time because I just never got around to trying it out. Moral: if you have one of their bundles, especially the Free Bundle, and you haven't tried all of the plug-ins, especially the "weird" ones, it's fun to take a little time to load 'em up and step through a few presets.

• Like 2