Neural DSP Flash Sale - Archtype Nolly

cclarry

No, you should (maybe you shouldn't), it is really nice, even the stock cab IR's are very usable, they seem to suit well, although I tried with some 3rd party cab IR's and prefer those. Also the FX are very usable and of reasonably good quality, much better than the Nembrini FX you can buy separately, which to be honest are crapola.

It really likes single coils or split coils in the split mode as apposed to humbuckers, to my ears anyway, can't remember the last time I spent this long playing with single or split. I'm gonna spend a bit of time over the coming days comparing with what I already have before hitting the buy button. Got to try and stop having overlaps that I wont use. The recent PA ORANGE is a good example, I should have cooled the engines on that, because I'll always go for the Amplitube collection or the BIAS version before it, but it does sound nice, but will likely not get used. Luckily a voucher paid for most of that (and I got another PA Tuner lol)

Studio One 5 is nearly hear, and for me that has priority.

[Edit] Well after a few days of demoing and comparing I decided to pass and leave this on the shelf

Edited by ensconced
  • Like 1

Still prefer Plini for cleans, though I love the funk tones in the Cory Wong amps.

I find that all their amp sims have a few things in common: great, mix-ready tones out-of-the-box or with minimal tweaking, very good effects and hands-down the best interface. But there's a caveat; in order to get those mix-ready sounds, there's a lot of tone-shaping going on by default, and which you can't  configure, it's built into their algorithm. I was intrigued by this and tested just the preamp against some of the other plugins I use. Cab/effects off, same IRs and 1-2 external effects. And sure enough, Neural's sims are less transparent to the direct sound of the guitar (tried with strats, les pauls and an archtop) than any of the other plugins (S-Gear, the Nembrini amps, even IK's Fender collections). The easiest to notice is the baked-in compression, but there's more to it than that. This may or may not be a factor to you, depending on your gear/taste. 

Throughout testing and playing around with them, I came to appreciate the value they provide, even at full price, just for the sheer-quality of the tones and effects. I managed to get very close to Plini's clean tone(s) with S-Gear plus external IRs and a nice compressor, eq and reverb, but that's a lot of fiddling at $200+. On a sale, they're a steal. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, fitzroy said:

Still prefer Plini for cleans, though I love the funk tones in the Cory Wong amps.

I find that all their amp sims have a few things in common: great, mix-ready tones out-of-the-box or with minimal tweaking, very good effects and hands-down the best interface. But there's a caveat; in order to get those mix-ready sounds, there's a lot of tone-shaping going on by default, and which you can't  configure, it's built into their algorithm. I was intrigued by this and tested just the preamp against some of the other plugins I use. Cab/effects off, same IRs and 1-2 external effects. And sure enough, Neural's sims are less transparent to the direct sound of the guitar (tried with strats, les pauls and an archtop) than any of the other plugins (S-Gear, the Nembrini amps, even IK's Fender collections). The easiest to notice is the baked-in compression, but there's more to it than that. This may or may not be a factor to you, depending on your gear/taste. 

Throughout testing and playing around with them, I came to appreciate the value they provide, even at full price, just for the sheer-quality of the tones and effects. I managed to get very close to Plini's clean tone(s) with S-Gear plus external IRs and a nice compressor, eq and reverb, but that's a lot of fiddling at $200+. On a sale, they're a steal. 

This is the key imho , neural dsp and stl tones , have this approach of narrowing moves tone wise based on professional tastes (or like you would do) so in fact those are like starting presets already from start .... and this is where it shines , it sounds already the way i would try to make it .... i like dry (no cabinet resonance) in your face well balanced sounds to be able to easily mix post prod .... PA stuff are a pain in that aspect ...ik is exellent but i had to make my own presets for each amps as a starting point (cabinets , speakers, mics ) ect ...neural and stl tones are just Time saver and fun provider ...witch values the asking price .

• Like 1

On 7/10/2020 at 6:44 AM, kevin H said:

I couldn’t wait and bought Plini with the 20% loyalty discount....I don’t regret it and will use it enough that if it goes 50% eventually the extra $20 I paid will make up for itself 

Don't fret it, with the number of overpriced, so-so amp sims and plugins around, you got great value there, even at full or close to full price. I've had a blast demo-ing Neural's plugins. I'll definitely get Plini and Cory Wong at the next sale. I also like the bass sims, but find them overkill for my needs. 

On 7/10/2020 at 12:54 AM, ensconced said:

Well after a few days of demoing and comparing I decided to pass and leave Corey Wong on the shelf.

What in your arsenal made you think you re covered from the wong gaz ...?

Pretty much everything, I can get any type of sound that I could get with the wong with what I already have and regularly use (Softube, PG, IK, Kuassa, ReValver Amp Clones) It was good/nice, don't get me wong(😁) just that it didn't really add anything for me. I'm trying not to overlap these days, so unless something is just a 'must have' for me, and can do something that what I have doesn't, or does it so noticeably better, I'm not going to bother.

I started thinning out the herd back when I gave away the PA stuff, and since then have sold or given away quite a bit more, only want to keep what I'll actually use and use regularly.

Done the same with my drum stuff, sold Superior 3 and 2 and EZ Drummer and AD 1/2, just kept BFD, and Bass stuff, kept MODO, gave away Trilian, purchased EZ Bass but gave it away soon after, MODO sounds better and doesn't require as much of you, I only use it for sketching, in the end the Bass is played with a real bass.

If I need to reinstall before I leave this mortal coil, there won't be so much to install and set up, only that which I need and actually use.

• Like 1