Neural DSP Flash Sale - Archtype Nolly

cclarry

2 hours ago, kevin H said:

I’m hoping they do a flash sale for Plini now. I may be hooked....

Same here. I was demoing Nolly, Plini and Abasi for many hours yesterday (unrestricted demo through ilok, points for that), and for clean/crunch, Plini is my favorite, even though Nolly's clean amp is also lovely and Nolly is probably the most versatile of their plugins. 

To my ears, Plini is the first amp sim that I've tried that is in the same category as S-Gear. That 'wow, this is something else' category. For cleans, a clear cut above everything else I own/use, including some decent and probably more popular options (like, say, Amplitube's Fender collections). Add the gorgeous interface, and it's hard not to be hooked. 

From another forum apparently they’ve been doing a 50 off sale of many if not all their models.  Seems only Nolly and Plini were left.  Now only Plini so it seems might be next .  Talk about getting in at last minute :)

Edited by kevin H

I saw a great Plini & Nolly video comparison yesterday  (thanks Zo!) and decided to try both of them.  Till now I messed only with presets and did a little bit gain/eq tweaking but overall I can say than I'm excited  from Plini and quite disappointed from sound of Nolly. The trial period is 14 days so there is enough time to go deep and check all possibilities/options.  But I'm afraid that there is already deal breaker for me - CPU consumption. 
I have a desktop PC with i7-4790K@4.00GHz (passmark 8000) and laptop with Ryzen 5 3500U (passmark 7100). I have tried Neural on my desktop and have got crackles from Plini's VST (Stereo, HQ oversampling) even in project where I have deleted rest of all audio tracks and leave only one Jamstix, one Plini and several stereo buses (IR, delay, modulation, reverb).
In summary, one Plini instance eats more power than dozen tracks with free VSTs which some of them I can't call as super efficient like e.g. Mercuriall Harlequin or JCM800. 

I have checked a Plini's changelog on Neural page too and there is a mention they already try to do something with CPU consumption  so I don't expect any substantial progress in this area.

## [2.0.1] – March 12th 2020
– Overall CPU usage increased on Mac & Windows devices. FIXED.

EDIT: Interesting post here (v1.0.2 -> v2.0.1 CPU comparison) https://unity.neuraldsp.com/t/plini-update-2-0-sample-latency-cpu-usage/1065/19

Edited by filo
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, filo said:

But I'm afraid that there is already deal breaker for me - CPU consumption. 

Thanks for useful link. Yeah, i recall reading on various forums about issues with CPU consumption. I think you can kind of tell by the GUI that its going to eat lots of resources. But I guess that's the cost of getting the higher quality sounding guitar sim and the slick GUI.

i found a bug in Abasi due to moduls byapssed not be free of cpu ....they're on it for next update , maybe this will be the occasion to optimise things here and there .

Plini and nolly (i7 4790s @3.6ghz ) here consume 10 % of cpu , on pair with ik amplitube (mono instance , quality normal witch is my normal use)

Whenever I see these posts I think "These seem metal-y and not for me." I'm wondering, when people are saying good clean sounds, are they talking like breakdown in the middle of a metal song or can these do Fender-y tones?
Mostly I just don't really like/play metal. I get a strong BROOTALITY vibe from the website as well. Am I totally misjudging here? I play more like Indy-rock-ish/Classic Rock/funk style.

1 hour ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Whenever I see these posts I think "These seem metal-y and not for me." I'm wondering, when people are saying good clean sounds, are they talking like breakdown in the middle of a metal song or can these do Fender-y tones?
Mostly I just don't really like/play metal. I get a strong BROOTALITY vibe from the website as well. Am I totally misjudging here? I play more like Indy-rock-ish/Classic Rock/funk style.

I never do metal and i went fo those , a great amp can handle anything , the perfect exemple is the diezel vh 4 in will putney , can go from fender /marshall to crazy ... problem being 90 % of reviews are metals head ....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Good point, 'clean' probably means something very different to someone playing through a Kirk Hammett signature ESP and someone playing a strat. But I guess the market is so heavily metal oriented, that I'm happy picking up a Nembrini amp sim with nice clean/crunch tones, even though I'll only use the remaining 80% of the sounds once in a blue moon 🤕

To keep to the topic though, Nolly has some great clean/crunch sounds, even though it's not the main focus. That would be Plini - demo it, you'll probably like it. Very polished, mix-ready sounds, and a great interface. 

Edited by fitzroy
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Thanks Zo.
Yeah, I mean whatever floats ones boat, but I find I tend to not like the "great tones" metalheads tend to like.

Check this one :

check also this one , clean tones and at 16 min he put the overdrive pedal into the clean amp , you get that old school sound imho pretty usable !!

Edited by Zo
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, RSMcGuitar said:

Thanks Zo!
Yeah, some of those sounds are definitely up my alley. Thanks for pointing this out to me. Cheers!

You're welcome , i alwayz say the DNA to a great amp is it's ability to cover any genre , itit can only do one thing , i do think it's just too limited or work haven't been made enougth ...

This is waht i liked about fender , marshall , vox ect ...the could cover so many genre and with the help of pedals go heavy with stressing ...but i with a superb caracter .

The one for exemple that i found able to chill anywhere is the diezel VH4  , grabbed the will puntey for that but even the Pa is exellent 

Confirmation here !! 

• Thanks 1