Midi tempo based tracks out if played after start time

jono grant

Hey there.

I'm working on a score with some tempo based samples like LA strings staccato note repetitions.  Midi into Kontakt.

If i push play 30 seconds in or something the tracks are all out of wack. If I play from the beginning it syncs up fine.

Is there a way to get Cakewalk do deal with this better? A setting or something?

Thanks

Jono  

If you are using MIDI long notes and expecting to start playback in the middle of any of those notes, that is almost guaranteed not to align with the rest of your score. The reason is that the DAW only has two choices when starting playback in the middle of any note: 1. start the note at the beginning or 2. don't play the note. In case 1, some kinds of synth voices can't possibly align when started at just any place in the score because they are being started at the "wrong" time.

If you were to freeze those notes into their audio equivalent, you'd then be able to start playing anywhere.

If you're not talking about long MIDI notes, then never mind. It must be something else.

45 minutes ago, bvideo said:

If you are using MIDI long notes and expecting to start playback in the middle of any of those notes, that is almost guaranteed not to align with the rest of your score. The reason is that the DAW only has two choices when starting playback in the middle of any note: 1. start the note at the beginning or 2. don't play the note. In case 1, some kinds of synth voices can't possibly align when started at just any place in the score because they are being started at the "wrong" time.

If you were to freeze those notes into their audio equivalent, you'd then be able to start playing anywhere.

If you're not talking about long MIDI notes, then never mind. It must be something else.

Ya, that would likely apply here as there are some longer held midi notes. The weird thing is, some of them re-trigger quite often, but they are time based and they go off sync, like a percussion groove for instance, you'd think if it was re-triggered at a new bar it would go in sync but it's not. Needs to start from the beginning.

Anyhow, thanks

J

1 hour ago, gustabo said:

Do you have midi chase turned on in prefs?

I do, but checking that helped me notice  that "include note events" was also checked. That's what I'm looking for. If that's switched on it will just play the note from the start regardless of where you are. If I turn it off,  It will wait until a re-trigger before playing any long notes.  This is fine because I just want it to play so I can overdub a part. If everything isn't playing at once that's fine  as long as the tracks eventually come in. At least there is no out of sync tempo based stuff going on.

Thanks for the help!

Jono