Built-in Sample for Cakewalk by Bandlab

ceakay

I was wondering if Bandlab can add a built-in sample into Cakewalk. I know you can use a sampler plugin (like ADSR Sample Manager, or Komplete Kontrol), but it gets very time consuming to put the plugin onto the track, then open the plugin, then drag the sample onto the sampler. If Bandlab does add a feature like this, I was thinking of a drag and drop type thing where you can drag a sample into the track pane and it will automatically become editable in the piano roll. Also, if you drag it into the clips pane, it will just create a new track with that specific audio clip. That's just my idea that I thought would be really useful. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Prod.Lostboy Neverlands said:

And if we just find people here in the community to make a sampler vst?

There are many sampler VSTs out there already.

But an integrated sampler track, like in Cubase, could do things GUI-wise that a regular VST instrument cannot. Like implementing its controls directly into the DAW, which to me is the whole point in requesting a built-in sampler. It should be quick and have an interface that's integrated.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/23/2020 at 5:25 AM, Prod.Lostboy Neverlands said:

And if we just find people here in the community to make a sampler vst?

https://serato.com/sample

Just use a third party sampler.

If the type of Sampler people are looking for is something more like Kontakt, then just wait for Structure 2 to go on sale for $30 and install it without the content (if you don't need that) /shrugs

-----

The reason why the Hip-Hop and EDM markets aren't using Cakewalk [more, at least] is because Ableton is basically the Pro Tools of EDM and FL Studio is basically the Pro Tools of Hip-Hop.

The resources being produced for Cakewalk is not geared to that type of production, and mostly for Singer/Songwriter types.  It's also hurt by the fact that it ships with almost nothing relevant for those genres, and it's missing a few niceties that actual professionals don't want to lose by moving over from other DAWs to Cakewalk.  "Stuff" is appealing to getting people on board.  They want to be up and running quickly.

Lack of stuff makes producing tutorial content harder, because you cannot expect the end user to have the stuff that you have - while other DAWs give you basically everything you need out of the box.  FL Studio, Live, Cubase, Logic Pro X, etc. <- none of those DAWs require third party Plugins or even Synths to create tutorial content for producing that type of music.

I've suggested Cakewalk numerous time on Reddit (/r/edmproduction and /r/musicproduction) and people routinely shoot it down for FL or Ableton (or even REAPER, ironically) because there are no decent resources available for it that are geared to those genres of music.

If you use a lot of other DAWs you can go subscribe to Groove3 for a month and watch dozens of hours of Tutorials that are well-produced and paced.  There is almost nothing there for Cakewalk/SONAR, and certainly nothing there that pertains to EDM/Hip-Hop music production.

Those markets are bringing in a lot of production newbies, so they aren't booting up a DAW and using it with years of experience on another.  That content ecosystem is a competitive advantage.  Adding a few features isn't going to close that gap.

Lastly:  Music production market is full of bandwagoners.  People have FOMO if they don't bandwagon the industry standards, and people who use the industry standards have a huge influence on impressionable newbies when they make them feel like their choice of DAW is inoptimal.

Edited by Trensharo
  • Like 1

On 6/23/2020 at 10:56 AM, scook said:

In this case look at TX16wx

It's almost as if they DON'T want to sell licenses to the Professional version, cause I can't seem to find a link to check pricing.

Also, aren't DirectWave and SliceX available for purchase for use in other DAWs from Image-Line?

Edited by Trensharo

7 hours ago, Trensharo said:

It's almost as if they DON'T want to sell licenses to the Professional version, cause I can't seem to find a link to check pricing.

Click the Shop link at the top.

TX16Wx Pro is $39 for the non-commericial license, $99 for the unrestricted version.

FWIW, the free one does everything (and much more) than I've ever needed.

11 hours ago, Trensharo said:

The reason why the Hip-Hop and EDM markets aren't using Cakewalk [more, at least] is because Ableton is basically the Pro Tools of EDM and FL Studio is basically the Pro Tools of Hip-Hop.

True. The funny thing is when FL & Ableton came out Cakewalk was a far more mature product , those other programs almost seemed like cute toys in comparison.

I've said it before but Cakewalk seems to be the DAW of choice for guitar playing Dad's  ....whilst the cool kids are all off making hip hop beats and EDM on other platforms because it's easier with the tight tools.  Whilst the Pro's or the wannbe Pro's are all using Logic or PT which aren't really better than CBB but have traditional strongholds. 

When was younger I had to move from Music-X to Cakewalk as the Amiga platform was becoming a dead end, and I hated it at first as it was so lame in comparison but it got better and better whilst Music-X ceased to be developed and then there came a time in the late 90s -early 2000's when almost everyone I knew who made music used Cakewalk who made music outside of a Pro Studio.  It felt like it was the most popular DAW for the home studio user.

So how did it fail  ? Well I think powers that be maybe didn't see the way the music industry was heading. The explosion of electronic music , the domination of Hip Hop. Other platforms were just better positioned to attract that audience. Easier to make music with, geared towards different production workflows. Nowadays most people I know don't use Cakewalk although there are still some die-hards like me.

However I think Bandlab are in a good position to re-establish Cakewalk as a real contender.  They have 18 million users on their App apparently !  So there is a built in audience for those wanting to take their productions to the next level.  I really thought that by now some bigger moves would have happened on this front. 

Bandlab has attracted many users because of it's slick GUI, ease of use, collaborative features and of course it's free , lightweight and runs on most anything.

If they can rework CBB into more like Pro version of Bandlab and include the tools wanted by modern producers I think they could reign supreme once again. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

I really thought that by now some bigger moves would have happened on this front. 

So did I

35 minutes ago, Mark Morgon-Shaw said:

Bandlab has attracted many users because of it's slick GUI, ease of use, collaborative features and of course it's free , lightweight and runs on most anything.

If they can rework CBB into more like Pro version of Bandlab and include the tools wanted by modern producers I think they could reign supreme once again. 

100% agree with you

• Like 1

@Mark  Morgon-Shaw, you have some interesting insights into the history of the DAW market. "Guitar-playing dads?" Excellent. I suppose I fit that demographic, sans kids. Where does Cubase fit into it? Digital Performer? I remember when SONAR came with a tiny "lite" version of Fruity Loops! I think it was on a floppy. I liked it.

Just got a license for Break Tweaker, though, so look out. Fortunately, the world of the EDM genre tends to be less ageist, at least in my perception. And for live gigs, you can always pull a deadmau5/Daft Punk and wear a helmet to conceal your geezerhood.

Thing is, even though I'm getting into EDM production, and I want to do more of that, not only do I want to do things like using live drum tracks with the rest being  electronic production, a la Air, I still do indie rock songs that don't go near the Piano Roll view, so I need a DAW that has reasonably powerful audio recording and editing/comping workflow. I read that Ableton Live! either doesn't have comping or didn't until recently? The thing is,  with Ableton, and FL, recording full audio tracks is a tacked-on afterthought, kind of like the perception of EDM work in Cakewalk.

• Like 1