Partitioned RAM

Alex Contero

Question

Hey I’m pretty new to Cakewalk. My PC has 16GB of RAM but every time I run Cakewalk it cuts 8GB away and marks it as “Hardware Reserved” so I’m only getting access to half my RAM. I can fix it by removing and reinstalling the cards but it’s a massive pain when I want to use my PC for gaming. Is this normal or does it at least have a work-around? I’m thinking about upgrading to 32GB but I don’t want to waste the money just to have it eat up half of that too. 

19 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Alex Contero said:

My PC has 16GB of RAM but every time I run Cakewalk it cuts 8GB away and marks it as “Hardware Reserved” so I’m only getting access to half my RAM.

I have never seen Cakewalk doing this or even showing this message.  Can you please post a clear screenshot where the message “Hardware Reserved” is displayed?

“Hardware Reserved” sounds more like it's a function of your actual PC rather than Cakewalk itself.

I also have 16 gig ram and on first load, Cakewalk only uses a couple of hundred K (As shown in Task Manager).  Of course, memory usage increases , the more plugins and I load into a project.

Are you sure this isn't you onboard graphics using a chuck of your RAM for it's graphic?  This would be set in the PC's BIOS.

You might also want to post a bit about your system and invronment in addition to the 16 gig.  

What version of Cakewalk?  What version of Windows. Is your WIndows fully patched?  Are you on a laptop or Desktop.

5 hours ago, Promidi said:

I have never seen Cakewalk doing this or even showing this message.  Can you please post a clear screenshot where the message “Hardware Reserved” is displayed?

“Hardware Reserved” sounds more like it's a function of your actual PC rather than Cakewalk itself.

I also have 16 gig ram and on first load, Cakewalk only uses a couple of hundred K (As shown in Task Manager).  Of course, memory usage increases , the more plugins and I load into a project.

Are you sure this isn't you onboard graphics using a chuck of your RAM for it's graphic?  This would be set in the PC's BIOS.

You might also want to post a bit about your system and invronment in addition to the 16 gig.  

What version of Cakewalk?  What version of Windows. Is your WIndows fully patched?  Are you on a laptop or Desktop.

I’ve run every other program I regularly use but it only happens when I run cakewalk. It’s a desktop running a full license Windows 10 64bit. I’m running the free version of Sonar

5A3A7F83-23D3-4549-9102-64EB3581D365.jpeg

11 minutes ago, Alex Contero said:

I’ve run every other program I regularly use but it only happens when I run cakewalk. It’s a desktop running a full license Windows 10 64bit. I’m running the free version of Sonar

Could you post a screencap of that when you aren't running Cakewalk?

11 minutes ago, Alex Contero said:

It isn’t running in that one, that’s after 2 or 3 restarts and some troubleshooting in msconfig.

So, your system is reserving 8GB of RAM whether or not you are running Cakewalk?

27 minutes ago, Promidi said:

Can you right click on "my computer" and post a screenshot of the resultant screen.  I am interested in the "Installed Memory" (usable)

The installed memory room read 16GB but useable memory would have (8GB). I have it corrected now after removing and reinstalling the RAM but I was hoping to find a better solution than opening up my desktop every time I want to run something else. 

2 minutes ago, Alex Contero said:

Yeah, even when it’s not running but it only happens the next time I restart my computer after running Cakewalk. 

Can you post a screencap where your system isn't reserving 8 GB of memory?

Found this: To see if a piece of hardware is reserving a large chunk of physical address space, launch "devmgmt.msc", select Resources by Connection in the View Menu, and expand the Memory node.

See what is reserving the RAM.

Also, if your motherboard is not happy about the way the RAM is arranged in the slots, Windows will flag it as Reserved. One example: with purchased pairs of memory cards, sometimes one of them HAS to be in Slot 1. Swap the 2 cards around.

1 hour ago, Kimyona said:

I Need Help Too. I have only 4 GB of RAM and cakewalk uses almost all of it and makes background noise.

You might want to start a new thread.

However, be prepared to be told that in this day and age, 4gb is not really enough and that you should consider upgrading your ram.

To get all your available RAM to all Windows programs, not just Cakewalk:

1. Windows Key + R  (opens the Run dialog)
2. run msconfig (starts the System Configuration dialog)
3. Select the Boot tab > then Advanced options
4. Deselect the top check boxes for Number of processors and Maximum memory.
5. Click OK  > then Apply 
6. Restart your system
7. Now Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc (opens Task Manager)
8. Now observe having a low number MB of Hardware reserved. Nearly your entire installed RAM should appear for use now. 

Same steps resolved my system doing what you all have been dealing with.