Iris 2 update not working properly with CbB

Hi all

I installed the latest version of Iris 2 - which has previously worked fine. I tried opening an project with it in and CbB crashed on opening. I opened a new project and inserted an instance of Iris - all fine. Saved the project and tried to reopen - crashed again. I've been in touch with Izotope support who told me to reinstall in safe mode but that did not help. I've gone back to them asking for any further advice but then tried Iris in Ableton Live 10 Lite. No problems in that DAW so seems to be a Cakewalk / Iris interface issue. Any ideas? Anyone had the same problem? I'm running the latest version of CbB and Windows 10 1909

Thought I'd check here before raising a support ticket with Bandlab 

I am not a regular Iris 2 user but just

• created a project with it
  • saved the project, closed and reloaded the project
  • shutdown CbB, restarted and reloaded the project

All worked OK.

Make sure to send the dump to support.

Is your default sample rate set to the same sample rate that the project containing Iris is set to?
If not, loading the project will crash Iris. This specific issue is a bug in Iris.  Cakewalk first initializes iris at the the default sample rate and later changes to the project sample rate. Iris crashes when loading its state at the default sample rate.

The good news is that I have already addressed this from our side for the next release even though its technically not a bug - all other plugins handle this. I will be reporting this to iZotope as well.
You can resolve it for now by setting your default sample rate to be the same as what you used in the project containing Iris.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Hi Noel - thanks again for your help - I now have the case number - 336268 - and your colleague Freed has responded asking me to try both the VST 2 version as well as the VST 3 - I've done this and the same crash occurs on startup

Re sample rates I have the default set at 44100 and never alter that in a project after opening so not sure that can be the issue? All I have done is open CbB, insert Iris 2, play a sound to check it is working, save, close and reload the project when it crashes. Interesting that scook has tried this and it works fine for him. It has opened a saved programme a couple of times for me but the vast majority of the time it crashes

@JoeGBradford thanks. I looked at the crash dump and it appears to be a different issue. Iris is crashing independently of the app since the crash dump doesn't even implicate Cakewalk. As far as I can see it has something to do with Iris crashing when loading its resources.  It may be an install problem.
You should follow up with iZotope on this since its not within our control.

------------

BUCKET_ID_PREFIX_STR:  APPLICATION_FAULT_INVALID_POINTER_READ_

FAILURE_PROBLEM_CLASS:  APPLICATION_FAULT

FAILURE_SYMBOL_NAME:  iZIris2.dll!Unknown

FAILURE_ID_HASH_STRING:  um:invalid_pointer_read_c0000005_iziris2.dll!unknown

FAILURE_ID_HASH:  {118841e1-6bcb-ef9d-fb0e-9ac068247613}

Followup:     MachineOwner
---------

0:000> kp 20
 # Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 00000000`00147258 00007ffd`538376ad ntdll!NtGetContextThread+0x14
01 00000000`00147260 00000000`22f700b8 ntdll!LdrpLoadResourceFromAlternativeModule+0x2bd
02 00000000`001473d0 00000000`00000028 0x22f700b8
03 00000000`001473d8 00000000`00000000 0x28

This issue also occurred in CbB 2020.05 on my computer and that was regardless if I used the VST2 or VST3 version of iZotope Iris 2 (v 2.02.455 = latest). When reopening a project with Iris 2, a selected preset and some MIDI, Cakewalk crashed. However, both VST versions worked when I opened the same project in latest version of SONAR Platinum (23.10.0)! As far as I can see I have the same audio settings in CbB and SONAR. The only noticeable thing being different is ThreadSchedulingModel, but changing that in CbB didn’t help.

So using SONAR I tried to tweak the settings inside Iris 2 (the wrench in the upper left corner). And lo and behold, when I deactivated the flag “Clear selections on sample load” in Iris 2, I was able to load the project in CbB as well (both VST2 and VST3). Maybe @JoeGBradford or someone else having Iris 2 can verify this?

Edited by Canopus
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Canopus said:

This issue also occurred in CbB 2020.05 on my computer and that was regardless if I used the VST2 or VST3 version of iZotope Iris 2 (v 2.02.455 = latest). When reopening a project with Iris 2, a selected preset and some MIDI, Cakewalk crashed. However, both VST versions worked when I opened the same project in latest version of SONAR Platinum (23.10.0)! As far as I can see I have the same audio settings in CbB and SONAR. The only noticeable thing being different is ThreadSchedulingModel, but changing that in CbB didn’t help.

So using SONAR I tried to tweak the settings inside Iris 2 (the wrench in the upper left corner). And lo and behold, when I deactivated the flag “Clear selections on sample load” in Iris 2, I was able to load the project in CbB as well (both VST2 and VST3). Maybe @JoeGBradford or someone else having Iris 2 can verify this?

I was so optimistic but no luck I am afraid Canopus - even with that flag turned off neither projects with VST2 or 3 versions would open after being saved and closed in CbB

Checked whether Iris works ok in Reason and it does - I could save a project and reopen it. So both Reason and Ableton 10 Lite work ok just not CbB - well not for me anyway!  Very strange!

9 hours ago, JoeGBradford said:

I was so optimistic but no luck I am afraid Canopus - even with that flag turned off neither projects with VST2 or 3 versions would open after being saved and closed in CbB

Well, whatever I did yesterday it did solve the problem on my PC opening a project in CbB containing Iris 2 and some MIDI. Just to verify that it was persistent, I created two new projects today in CbB; one containing the VST2 version and one containing the VST3 version of Iris 2. After saving, both projects reloaded in CbB without any issues. The thing is that I now could even reactivate the option “Clear selection on sample load” in Iris 2 and it still worked. Very strange indeed.

Sorry just realised I hadn't replied to this! Thanks for responding - glad it worked - as you say very strange indeed - as is the fact that Iris 2 works fine with Reason and Ableton Live 10 Lite! I've contacted iZotope and Bandlab support again to see if they can resolve the issue - it does seem that it works with some CbB installations but not mine!