FX Quantize Automation?

Having recently discovered the FXQuantize MIDI plug in (OK, 20+ years with Cakewalk and I always used the destructive quantize when I needed it... ugh).

Mostly what I'm using it for is to add some swing to drum tracks. I'm finding that it works great  most of the time but... there are cases where I need to use different values or turn it off.  For example :

1. I want to turn it off for a fill

2. Turn it off during a section that needs to have different quantize values (e.g., 32nd notes instead of 16th notes). 

I was hoping to automate the effect but I can't find any way to link a controller to the different parameters like you can with most of the audio effects. 

I know I can split the drum MIDI onto multiple tracks and apply different plug in instances around those parts, but I think in most cases I if I can simply bypass or change a plug in parameter it will do what I need it to do . 

Any points would be appreciated

Pat

You could always Process | Apply Effect | MIDI Effects... to freeze whatever changes you've introduced via Quantize effect, and then go fix up the areas that need to be straighter, or whatever.

Also, the Apply Effect command only applies to selected clips, not the entire track, so you could split the bits that you want effected differently into their own clips, and leave them out of the freeze. The Apply will remove the fx from the bin, so they'll revert to their 'as recorded' state. You could then drop a Quantize effect with different settings and just apply it to those segments.

Nowhere near as convenient as having automatable paramters on the midi fx, but it is what it is.

...and also what scook suggested about doing per-clip fx instead of at the track level.

Edited by John Bradley

I want this too. The midi filter is one i would like to enable with a pedal push for example.

I use a touch screen and tap to enable or bypass fx. So you could put different instances of your fx on the channel and tap to enable disable. Not perfect, but what i do.

I personally add quantize to the midi clip then when different settings are needed I split the clip with the scissors Which copies the same Quantize settings to the newly split clip.  I then adjust the settings of the newly split clip.  Split every time I need new settings Then when it’s all done I personally clone it to save a copy for if I want to change it and Bounce all of the  clips back together.

This works great!

Automatable Quantize would be nice though!