STAFF VIEW

lakis agrogiannis

Question

Hi,  I am one of those (and there are lots of users) that use Staff view quite a lot, and rely heavily on, when creating a song, especially at the start. Therefore  I would be happy, if Staff View got not a small but a major upgrade, soon. I also have Cubase 10 , but I will probably sell it, I find it unintuitive and hard to create music with, and its Note view is horrible. I like cakewalk a lot better, and I wonder if the Staff View will get a real update that will increase the popularity of the whole program. Anybody knows, which group of individuals, does these monthly updates, I wanna thank them.

• Like 1

7 answers to this question

9 hours ago, lakis agrogiannis said:

Hi,  I am one of those (and there are lots of users) that use Staff view quite a lot, and rely heavily on, when creating a song, especially at the start. Therefore  I would be happy, if Staff View got not a small but a major upgrade, soon.

You might want to post this in the "Features and Ideas" forum and describe exactly how you would like the staff view to be updated.

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

• Like 1

Well, as a long-time Cakewalk user, staff view has never gotten as much attention as most of its users would like.  So I'm not holding my breath. I resigned myself years ago to just hoping it doesn't deteriorate. I only use it as a composing tool. IMO, that's what it's intended for. It's not really true notation. For that you need a dedicated program.

I agree that Cubase's note view or whatever they call it is way overrated. you can't scroll to the right past the margin, so you can't select any notes beyond what you can see. so as a composing aid it sucks. Cakewalk does let you do that. Reapers's notation also does. In fact, their notation view is on its way to being the best of any DAW, IMO. 

i would LOVE for the staff view to be upgraded, fixed, and USABLE! it drives me insane that i cannot edit properly.

and there are ZERO staff editing tutorials anywhere, except for some random mentions of the staff view 5–10 years ago!

yes, i know and use the midi roll, but more at the end of composition/writing. in the very early stages of writing, it just feels more intuitive to use "real" notes, and it is so nice when you can do that right in the daw with the instruments all there and ready for you.

hope this make it to someone who cares,

have a good week!

• Like 1

Just started using Cakewalk and was looking for a tutorial on "Staff View" and how to use it.  From what I am seeing here there isn't one.  I tried entering the last quarter note in a 4/4 measure and it created an 8th note tied to another 8th note in the next measure.  Is there any information on how to enter notes.  I did download a page called "Inserting Notes On The Staff".  Is that about it?

Thanks