Cakewalk - previous Sonar installs with plugins

Hi all,

Just wondering what you have all done with your previous installs and plugins.  In order for Cakewalk to pick up all my old plugins that I still like to use, I've had to install previous versions of Sonar.   So, I have four full DAW installs on my computer right now:  Sonar X2,  X3, Platinum, and CWB.   Is there anyway to uninstall those (or parts of those) and still retain the plugins?  

You used to be able to do a custom install of Sonar, where you just install the plugins. I have Sonar 8.5 in addition to CbB, so I have things like Dim Pro, Sonitus, etc. For me, having sonar plus CbB is no big deal. but if you are needing more space on your drive, you could give this a try. 

Using Windows to uninstall SONAR is going to uninstall everything except for files modified by the user and registry entries. Platinum is a little different than X2 and X3 because it uses multiple installers. It is possible to uninstall SONAR Platinum and not affect the other plug-in installers. However, uninstalling any version of SONAR runs the risk of removing the shared folders used by CbB.

One could manually remove the DAWs but I don't believe it is worth the effort.

Here are some numbers for 64bit SONAR X2 Producer, X3 Producer and Platinum full installs on my PC. I do not have any version of 32bit SONAR installed.

• The space used in  "Program Files" totals around 446MB.
  • The space used in "Cakewalk Content" varies based on installation. Tutorials alone take up several GB. I removed the tutorials some time ago. My three SONAR folders total up to ~700MB. Of course, they are mostly duplicates of each other and all the DAWs could be set to use CbB.
  • The space used in ProgramData is ~22MB.
  • User directories vary quite a bit. Mine take up ~37MB.

Having all three versions of SONAR and CbB installed takes less than 2GB (without the tutorials). Considerably less if one cleans up the duplicates in "Cakewalk Content".

I did not include loop libraries in "Cakewalk Content". These take up quite a bit of space, almost 9GB for everything bundled with SONAR and extras like the EDM Euphoria Audio Loops.

That's the ticket. Just install what you use.  I just hovered the mouse over all my  Cakewalk folders and I'm sitting at a total of 12 GB. 

I have 8.5, X3 Studio, Home studios last version, Splats last release and CbB.  I never instal tutorials or anything that says it's a loop but I grab everything else.  

12 minutes ago, John Vere said:

my  Cakewalk folders and I'm sitting at a total of 12 GB

There are a lot of shared components. Those have to be factored out when trying to skinny down a Cakewalk install.

That said, my guess is there may be some samples included in the 12GB.

By default most Cakewalk sfz engine synths put samples in the "C:\Program Files\Cakewalk" tree.

I don't count plug-in data when trying to determine Cakewalk's footprint.

I was just curious and took a quick look using the hover over 3 locations in C drive.   I just realized I missed 1 folder, Program Data which is another 8 GB and thats all my samples for default Cakewalk stuff. I keep 3rd party VST libraries on my data drive but I only managed to point Rapture Pro at the data drive, the rest are default. But not a problem as I have 151 GB free space on the 240 GB C drive. In the Program folder  is sample libraries. Dim Pro alone is 3.4 GB. Studio instruments 1.3 GB and VST folder 2 GB.. The old versions of Sonar use very little room example Sonar 8.5 shows as 81 MB,  Splat as 200MB. 

Cakewalk Content - 4 GB

Program Files Cakewalk- 8.2 GB   

Program Files 82 - 750 MB 

Program Data - 8.5 GB