Why are VST2 instruments grey in browser?

GreenLight

Hi all!

VST2 instruments are in a grey font in the browser, which kind of makes them look "disabled" or "not usable" or such. Sure, VST3 is undoubtedly a newer standard, but VST2 is still going strong and in some cases still actually going stronger than VST3. It's misleading that VST2 instruments are outgreyed. 🤔

I don't believe it's possible to adjust this font color in the Colors section?

If a clear visual indicator between VST2 and VST3 is wanted (and it's probably a good idea), maybe make the icons a bit clearer and/or bigger instead?

The text colour of 64 bit, VST3 and DirectX plug-ins can’t be changed independently, but the text colour of VST2 plug-ins can be set to any colour you want in the Theme Editor through the node Browser > Plug-in Browser > VST2 Text. Also, you can change the colour of 32-bit plug-ins in the node Browser > Plug-in Browser > 32-bit Plug-ins Text should you want to. All the rest defaults to the colour set through the node Browser > Plug-in Browser > Plug-in Tree Text.

Edited by Canopus

So far as I have seen they might also be affected by color settings, but the colors of the plug-in names can be changed using the Theme Editor.  The colors of the icon images can  also be changed, but need to be re-painted.  Or, if a Theme Maker has already colorized them in a theme, you can grab those images and assign them to your own theme.

image.png.d17b123ffac7da7da7b84f75b6ed891e.png

If you just want to display the VST2 and the VST3 plug-ins separately you can select Sort by Type.

image.png.d301768b0f62e755c76399708e6509c0.png

(Note: I was almost done with this when Canopus replied, but we are saying similar things. Maybe the pix help?)

image.png.e531fe4bd6e790204ff8dcd14de5838c.png         image.png.d6a43eb52ff05fdcc0cc9e96282ab0cb.png     

Here you can see how MarianoGF colorized icons in Boston Flowers.

image.png.49d91a63b788af11bb36bb0439ce40a6.png

Edited by User 905133
(4) 2024: typo fixed; (3) to give credit to MarianoGF! (2) to show colorized icons from Boston Flowers; (1) to add images from the editor