MIDI clip length issue

Hello. 

This subject has been bothering me for a long time. No matter how many times I try, I can't figure out the solution. At measure 1:00:000 I start recording a MIDI clip. When I press stop, it usually ends up with uneven length. Example from my current set: 7:03:869 (M:B:T). Now I can select this clip, go to Properties in the Inspector and manually input 8, which results in new clip length being 8:00:000 (M:B:T). So far so good. Can someone explain to me, why this new length changes back to where it was as soon as I duplicate this clip or even move it slightly within the track? Is there a setting I'm missing? 

It also doesn't matter if I use the Edit tool for this task. The clip changes length after any movement anyway. 

I can't provide the "why", but if I ever need to enable Groove Looping in a MIDI clip, I ensure that the first and last notes of the clip start/end exactly on the beat by editing the notes.
I believe a MIDI clip's length is defined by the data in the clip, not how long it appears.

• Like 1

If you want to keep the length of an extended MIDI clip, you have to switch to 

Non-Destructive MIDI Editing

in Preferences -> Customization -> Editing -> MIDI

Otherwise moving/duplicating a MIDI clip will always truncate the length of the clip to the end of the last MIDI note.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 57Gregy said:

I can't provide the "why", but if I ever need to enable Groove Looping in a MIDI clip, I ensure that the first and last notes of the clip start/end exactly on the beat by editing the notes.
I believe a MIDI clip's length is defined by the data in the clip, not how long it appears.

You are correct. I noticed that too. However only in Cakewalk I have stumbled upon such a "requirement". To keep the clip length even, make the last note even. Thanks for the input. 

15 hours ago, Klaus said:

If you want to keep the length of an extended MIDI clip, you have to switch to 

Non-Destructive MIDI Editing

in Preferences -> Customization -> Editing -> MIDI

Otherwise moving/duplicating a MIDI clip will always truncate the length of the clip to the end of the last MIDI note.

We have a winner! I don't think I would have ever guessed that this option was responsible for truncated clips. Thanks for sharing this tip. 

On 6/19/2020 at 7:43 AM, Michal Ochedowski said:

Hello. 

This subject has been bothering me for a long time. No matter how many times I try, I can't figure out the solution. At measure 1:00:000 I start recording a MIDI clip. When I press stop, it usually ends up with uneven length. Example from my current set: 7:03:869 (M:B:T). Now I can select this clip, go to Properties in the Inspector and manually input 8, which results in new clip length being 8:00:000 (M:B:T). So far so good. Can someone explain to me, why this new length changes back to where it was as soon as I duplicate this clip or even move it slightly within the track? Is there a setting I'm missing? 

It also doesn't matter if I use the Edit tool for this task. The clip changes length after any movement anyway. 

For Duplicate Clip, this has been fixed for the next release. It will retain the original selection size and not crop to the last note.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Hello

I just noticed the same problem recently (i can't remember experiencing it this before the latest update) but when i uncheck Non desctrutive MIDI editing, the same thing happens if i CTRL+grab a clip. If i enable  groove clip looping doesn't help either.

I have Platinum on my pc as well i tried and it works fine in it. Any idea why is this happening?

MIDI Clip.gif