RX7 & Cakewalk by BandLab

DrumDude

• 2 months later...

I just got RX 7 recently and was having problems with Connect. Glad I found this page! So I did some test using both methods for sending files.

The Process Effect way only seems to work the first time. Then somehow I no longer get the shell window with Connect inside it and the option for me to click OK anymore. Instead it opens the module the same way it would open if I added it as an effect. I do get the option to click reference or repair, but no preview button or anything else. Nothing seems to happen and it doesn't open RX. When I open RX manually it opens an empty wav file. It seems Connect sent a file but didn't capture the audio. So in RX it is just an empty file. 

When I use the Tool Editor (thanks to scook), It works every time. However there are a few things to consider for this to run smoothly as intended. I noticed some odd behavior by RX each time I use this method. When RX opens up it gives an error saying that it cannot use the session data folder anymore and to change it. Not true. I confirmed that it uses it just fine when comparing it to opening RX outside of Cakewalk. My guess is that it says this because the file is opened through Cakewalk via the Temp folder and not the traditional "File > open" method that you would use if you opened a file through the program itself. So you can do all your edits as normal but make sure to click save. This is because cakewalk exports a wav file to the Temp folder and RX uses that file to edit. If you don't save Cakewalk wont get the changes. So after you saved the file DO NOT close RX. Go to File > Close File. THEN you can close RX. Then when you go to Cakewalk it will notice the file it exported changed and will ask you if you want to update your track with the changes. Why close file then close RX you may ask? Because if you don't, RX behaves as if it closed accidentally and when you open RX again for example outside Cakewalk, it re-opens the session and says it cant find the original file (which it is not supposed to anyway hence "Temp" folder). All this does is waste disk space because it doesn't delete the contents of Session Folder which is RX's Temp folder. So you could imagine this taking up a lot of space overtime saving ALL your sessions since you first used it. If you close the file before closing RX, it deletes the contents of it's Session Data folder so it starts brand new when you open it again whether standalone or through Cakewalk. This is how it is supposed to act.

I hope this information helps anyone that may use RX but is confused about what is happening. Use the Tool Editor to add RX as a menu item and use that method for editing through Cakewalk, ignore the error and save and close file. Then you should be good. :)

• Thanks 1

On 7/9/2020 at 9:12 PM, Hillmy said:

I just got RX 7 recently and was having problems with Connect. Glad I found this page! So I did some test using both methods for sending files.

The Process Effect way only seems to work the first time. Then somehow I no longer get the shell window with Connect inside it and the option for me to click OK anymore. Instead it opens the module the same way it would open if I added it as an effect. I do get the option to click reference or repair, but no preview button or anything else. Nothing seems to happen and it doesn't open RX. When I open RX manually it opens an empty wav file. It seems Connect sent a file but didn't capture the audio. So in RX it is just an empty file. 

When I use the Tool Editor (thanks to scook), It works every time. However there are a few things to consider for this to run smoothly as intended. I noticed some odd behavior by RX each time I use this method. When RX opens up it gives an error saying that it cannot use the session data folder anymore and to change it. Not true. I confirmed that it uses it just fine when comparing it to opening RX outside of Cakewalk. My guess is that it says this because the file is opened through Cakewalk via the Temp folder and not the traditional "File > open" method that you would use if you opened a file through the program itself. So you can do all your edits as normal but make sure to click save. This is because cakewalk exports a wav file to the Temp folder and RX uses that file to edit. If you don't save Cakewalk wont get the changes. So after you saved the file DO NOT close RX. Go to File > Close File. THEN you can close RX. Then when you go to Cakewalk it will notice the file it exported changed and will ask you if you want to update your track with the changes. Why close file then close RX you may ask? Because if you don't, RX behaves as if it closed accidentally and when you open RX again for example outside Cakewalk, it re-opens the session and says it cant find the original file (which it is not supposed to anyway hence "Temp" folder). All this does is waste disk space because it doesn't delete the contents of Session Folder which is RX's Temp folder. So you could imagine this taking up a lot of space overtime saving ALL your sessions since you first used it. If you close the file before closing RX, it deletes the contents of it's Session Data folder so it starts brand new when you open it again whether standalone or through Cakewalk. This is how it is supposed to act.

I hope this information helps anyone that may use RX but is confused about what is happening. Use the Tool Editor to add RX as a menu item and use that method for editing through Cakewalk, ignore the error and save and close file. Then you should be good. :)

The error message about the session data folder will stop if you add a RegionFlag=0 to the registry:

YJ1rnO9.png

It's mentioned in this thread (old Sonar Forum):

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Adding-iZotope-RX-to-the-SONAR-Tools-list-m1849148.aspx#1850413

See post # 12 (and ignore the last post # 22)

Works great!

• Like 2