RX7 & Cakewalk by BandLab

DrumDude

Hello,

I was wondering if any one here has had any luck with using Izotope RX7 with Cakewalk by BandLab? More specifically the "connect" feature in RX7 to be able to send the audio from Cakewalk to RX. I watched some tutorials on RX's "connect" feature but when I bring it up as vst plugin in Cakewalks FX bin I don't see all the same buttons as I do in the video's, mainly the "process" button. So after doing my repairs in RX & sending the file back to Cakewalk there is no "process" button to accept the repaired audio. Anybody having the same issue? Is there a fix/work around? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

James & Scook thanks so much for your answers. I was beginning to think I was the only one having this issue with RX. Scook I've checked out your page & see the Tools Editor but I'm not sure how it works. Do I just download it & it automatically fills everything in? Thanks 

The program comes with a pdf and built-in help with examples of how to use it. The tool can add practically anything to the CbB Utilities menu. I wrote the program partially in response to a post in this thread about using iZotope RX with SONAR. I do not have RX but imagine it is setup using the Tool Editor like any wave editor.

• 4 months later...

Just purchased RX7 as part of the Music Production Suite and was getting frustrated trying to get it to talk to Cakewalk. BUT,  thanks to you Scook, and your little programme, they are talking beautifully! I truly appreciate you making the Tool Editor freely available!

Cheers and let's make more music! 

22 minutes ago, Starship Krupa said:

I should set this up. I have both Sound Forge and RX Elements.

Anyone tried both of them and have a preference? I've been using Sound Forge outside Cakewalk and like it well enough, just haven't messed with RX much.

Hey There

I have SF and an older version of RX, I believe v2. I don't think they're the same thing. RX is for restoration and SF is an audio editor.

What's in Elements that you use where you'd need to choose between it and SF?

Edited by razor7music

You can use RX 7's Connect with CbB.  Here's how:

Right click an audio clip in the timeline and choose Process Effect->Audio Effect

In the list of effects find RX 7 Connect.  It will come up like this:

So7cwK.jpg

Make sure Repair is selected and press the Ok button.  RX 7 will now open with the audio.

Edit it.  When you are done press Send Back.

Back in CbB (while RX7 is waiting for Connect) right click the audio clip again and again choose Process Effect->Audio Effect and find RX 7 Connect.  The dialog will now look a little different:

3fy4iF.jpg

Press the OK button to commit the changes.

I think the Utilities menu is a bit easier, but it's not your only option.  The Process Effect clip option works the way RX Connect wants to run (unlike adding it a clip effect/track effect which doesn't process the whole file)

Edited by Matthew Sorrels
Don't need to use Audition button. OK is the same as Process which is what RX 7 Connect really wants.
  • Like 3

Ouch... that just reminded me of the need for mouse scrolling in the menu lists (there was another thread recently on that). Unless RX Connect is one of the last 5 FX used, scrolling through iZotope to get to RX is a PITA.

Edited by mettelus

Yes better menu scrolling would be nice.  And yes Cakewalk COULD fix it/change it.  But doing so may not be all that simple or easy.  I do this kind of development work for a living and I fully understand them going "MFC doesn't natively do mouse support on popup menus" instead of "Yeah I can spend the next couple of weeks writing a custom/subclass popup menu that supports mouse scrolling".  Might not even take a couple of weeks but it's not something they can get "for free".

Truthfully they need a plugin picker window with not only scrolling, but also a text search/filter option and recategorization options (so you can show the list by Manufacturer or by Category or just alphabetical).  They already have something like it in the Browser, they just need to expand its functionality to cover these effect selector situations.  But again it's work, lots and lots of work.  They also need to do that same work in replacing the whole plug-in manager system.  It's really under UI powered given the volume of plugins the average user has these days.  Again, more work.  Work that doesn't even lead to more sales.  So it's easy to see why it's never going to happen.

• Sad 1

I use Rx7 for various things from cleaning up fiddle squeaks to mouth smacks to vocal isolation.  Also use Sound forge for various stuff when mastering.  I really like being able to highlight a portion and get the RMS or LUFS .  

As far as using Rx7, using the connect feature sucked.  So I used Scook’s tool to add it to Cakewalk’s menu.  Now I highlight a clip and use the drop down menu.  Cakewalk copies the file to Rx7.  Edit it in there then save. Go back to Cakewalk and it asks if you reload the changed wav file, Yes please.  And the file is back in it’s cleaner glory.  I use Sound forge like this sometimes as well.  Much better than using the Connect feature.

• 9 months later...

On 7/16/2019 at 10:54 AM, scook said:

Yes

I still recommend using the tool I wrote (see the link in my previous post) to avoid having to edit the registry directly.

Hi, I just bought RX7 elements, installed it via the Izotope  and installed Scook's tools editor, and filled out the tool editor's screen like it shows in his example, selecting the RX 7 Audio Editor.exe file then hit "Submit", the form resets.  How do I open the wave files in Sonar in RX7 from there?

Edited by BH Collective

You could run the .reg file but the easiest way is change the Update Registry to Yes in the tool when creating a new entry. This way instead of writing a .reg file, the tool will directly update the registry.

If you have any more questions about the tool please post them in

7 minutes ago, scook said:

You could run the .reg file but the easiest way is change the Update Registry to Yes in the tool when creating a new entry. This way instead of writing a .reg file, the tool will directly update the registry.

If you have any more questions about the tool please post them in

Thank you!  That was it.. I didn't click the "yes" on update reg once in DAW.  Thank you!!