I built a new i9-9900k PC for CbB

Panu Pentikäinen

On 2/17/2019 at 4:32 PM, panup said:

<NERD ALERT>

LatencyMon reports:

image.png.eca6ed2238dabe810b0fd76a921e80ee.png 

SYSTEM INFORMATION
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17763 (x64)
Hardware:                                             MS-7B17, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON (MS-7B17)
CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz
Logical processors:                                   16
Processor groups:                                     1
RAM:                                                  32722 MB total

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   192,20
Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   3,022335

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       159,70
Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1,022943

REPORTED ISRs
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              195,605556
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,012871
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,012907

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   47811
ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              728,506111
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Network Driver Interface Specification (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,004141
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         nvlddmkm.sys - NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 388.13 , NVIDIA Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,009174

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   192967
DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                1
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

</NERD ALERT>

image.png

You re good homie !!

3 hours ago, Phil Balliet said:

Got a newer i5 8th gen cpu 32gb ram ddr4 an SSD C drive with a 2tb hybrid hdd drive. How do you set the cpu to fixed, is that in the task manager or via cakewalk preferences?

If you've got an off-the-shelf laptop, it may not expose the BIOS parameters necessary to stop all performance throttling.

The cooling in a laptop (in such a tight space) is not ideal for locking a CPU at the highest TurboBoost frequency.

With a tower, you can use over-spec'd cooling (much more significant heat dissipation)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Phil Balliet said:

Damn this makes my new laptop seem weak. Got a newer i5 8th gen cpu 32gb ram ddr4 an SSD C drive with a 2tb hybrid hdd drive. How do you set the cpu to fixed, is that in the task manager or via cakewalk preferences?

This should help:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/use-maximum-cpu-power-windows-10

• Thanks 1

I highly recommend water cooling for the i9-9900k, it is a hot plate with a free room heater inside a thermonuclear reactor. You should plan to see 200 watts of power used by it if you want to run over 5 GHz, so find something that will get that heat out of the case. Once you get it cooled,  I think we are starting to get to the point where all this optimization stuff is becoming moot. 

There are a bewildering array of UEFI BIOS overclock and memory parameters, so you can spend weeks tweaking. My MB BIOS has over 400 parameters according to the saved text profile and I think I know how to tweak,  maybe, 50 of them. The rest are trial and error (or AUTO).

I ended up using an adaptive clock setting, starting at 4.7GHz per core and allowing up to 5.1 GHz per core in the rare times that is needed. Honestly, I think I only see that when I run test benchmarks. My own extensive audio tests and benchmarks make me happy with these settings.

The only constraint I decided upon was a VCore limit of 1.4 volts. I needed a bit more than that to reach 5.2 GHz and it didn't seem worth it.

Edited by Jim Hurley
  • Like 1

I have 11 fans, 3 on a 360 mm radiator.

When I train a neural network using the GPU and CPU, it uses 450 watts - 200 on the CPU 250 on the GPU.

I wrote some stress tests in Reaktor and ran Prime95 overnight, here are some charts to show the power and temperatures.

Don't say you haven't been warned!

Prime95 26.6 10.5 hours 5100 MHz 2019-Jan-21.png

Reaktor Stress Test 24x - level 3 -  2 hour.png

Full-sized images:

http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Reaktor/Prime95 26.6 10.5 hours 5100 MHz 2019-Jan-21.png
http://www.arachnaut.net/audio/Reaktor/Reaktor Stress Test 24x - level 3 - 2 hour.png

Edited by Jim Hurley