Audio overload in Cakewalk

Jon White

11 hours ago, Jon White said:

Hi Noel, and thank you for posting.  I've talked to Lynx, and you posted here as well to one of my posts a few months ago regarding this.  

I had the updated Lynx driver, but was confused as to which one of the "Enable MMCSS" toggles (or both) I should turn off, because both Cakewalk and Lynx offer the on/off option.  I called Lynx and asked and they said they did not know that Cakewalk had a toggle.

To make short of that story, if I have both of the new codes (yours and Lynx'), do I need to turn it off?  It's not a fatal issue like the posting you referenced, just a performance problem.  Are you pretty confident I can use it now?  I don't want to shut it off it it's supposed to work.  If it should be shut off, should I cut both the Cake and the Lynx toggles?

Also, again, it's the comparitive issues with Sonar/Cakewalk (to other software) that stands out here.  

You can turn it off in either not for your test, Turn off mmcss in Cakewalk.

Also please report back on testing the same project with a different audio interface. Testing different software with the same hardware at best shows differences in performance of the driver rather than the DAWs. The mmcss issue is a great example of that.

On 6/23/2020 at 10:05 PM, Bill Ruys said:

I would also add that DPC latency can cause crackle.  You might want to check it with the tool here: https://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

+1,  although that should affect all DAW apps running on the same machine equally.

Another random thought:  Having Steinberg Cubase 'Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver' installed can cause these symptoms.

1 hour ago, David Baay said:

+1,  although that should affect all DAW apps running on the same machine equally.

Another random thought:  Having Steinberg Cubase 'Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver' installed can cause these symptoms.

Speaking of that. Does anybody know how to remove that driver?  I did it a few years ago but it came back. 

It shows as my Recording Latency Adjustment device. This cannot be a good thing. My Tascam is in the dropdown but after you hit Apply the Generic returns. 

It is not listed in the programs menu in Control panel. Must be a dll hiding somewhere. Problem is I do use Wave lab a lot as well as Cubase to test things. 

2020-06-25 (1).png

To remove a generic driver, rename/delete the dll or remove the entry from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO

There should be no more than one ASIO driver for each audio device. Generic drivers such as the ones from Cubase, MAGIX, FL or ASIO4ALL conflict with factory drivers and should not be installed if there is a factory driver installed.

• Like 1

What is the ThreadSchedulingMOdel set to in Cakewalk? I see you say you have checked this but which one are you sat at right now?
I spent over a year replacing parts on computers and the actual soundcard to get around this problem with no joy at all until I stumbled upon this setting mentioned by someone here in the forums (I forget who)

This one setting enabled me to go from 4 tracks with pops and crackling on 44.1, 24bit with my  buffer at 1024 to 50 plus tracks all the plugins, 128 on the buffer and not a single pop or crackle.

Mine was set to what I imagine is the default of 1, changed to 2 and instantly sorted it. Even allowed me to start using an old laptop with the same issue for off site recording which again handles things lovely when set to 2. I think this setting is absolutely vital to get right for the processor your computer is using.

I have my TSModel on 2.  

Noel, I switched to my Line6 Toneport UX2 as my audio device and it was even worse, but that's an old monkey.

I also use Sequoia as a DAW, and found the Magix Low Latency driver in my registry and deleted it.  No change.  Didn't think that would matter.

Noel, Lynx writes the following in their notes on the latest driver 24c:

8.  Added work-around for some ASIO applications (Cakewalk, Studio One, Ableton Live) that set the priority of the driver thread (setting the priority of the driver thread should never be done by an ASIO application per the ASIO specification).  Also added the ability for the end user to turn off the MMCSS priority of the driver thread for applications that insist on setting the drivers thread priority (none that we have found, so far).

Are they correct about setting the thread priority being a no-no?

@Jon White Lynx is  quoting some misguided stuff from Steinberg. Cakewalk was doing MMCSS way before Steinberg was even aware of it.
We allow the user to set the MMCSS thread priority in the host because we want to match the priorities to our other threads - otherwise you end up with priority inversion. If the app sets the priority and the driver attempts to set it the call will fail. All software needs to be resilient and handle these situations and all other drivers I have seen handle this. The original Lynx issue was because the driver was failing to check this. If the driver sets the priority the host should ignore the failure code and everything works normally.

In any case its a user choice to disable MMCSS from the host level. Its provided to improve performance with drivers that are unaware of MMCSS (which is most drivers)

Somewhat tangential, but I think relevant:

From the documentation of my ECHO Layla 3G PCI Audio Interface, driver version 8.6, from 2011:

ASIO support
This driver release includes full ASIO 2.2 support. Just select “ASIO Echo PCI” from within your ASIO-based application.

New features for Windows Vista and Windows 7
The scheduler in Windows Vista and Windows 7 has a new feature called MMCSS, or Multi Media Class Scheduler Service. MMCSS is intended to enable audio software to run at the highest priority to avoid glitching.

The ASIO driver included with this release supports MMCSS. On the ASIO control panel, you will see two new settings.

• Use multimedia priority boost: Checking this box tells the ASIO driver to use MMCSS to run at a higher priority.
  • Lower window manager priority: Checking this box causes Windows to prioritize audio playback and recording over drawing windows on the screen.

Both settings are checked by default.

At least some MOTU ASIO drivers set the MMCSS priority (and don't give you control) so I'd say it's arguable that it's a "misinterepration" if multiple hardware manufacturers do this (I think RME do too, or at least provide an option?).

• Jon White changed the title to Audio overload in Cakewalk