Novation Launchkey MK3 Has Landed!

cclarry

I know it's relatively cheap, but when you watch the demos and see how the whole thing bends when being played it is a real turn off for me. To be fair they are not alone in this - most midi controllers feel like cheap toys to me. It also surprises me that virtually nobody goes beyond the 61 keys as many VST instruments stretch out further than that by the time keyswitches and stuff are included. It can't be just me that would willingly pay more for a  decent quality 73 or 76 key version, or can it? 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, paulo said:

I know it's relatively cheap, but when you watch the demos and see how the whole thing bends when being played it is a real turn off for me. To be fair they are not alone in this - most midi controllers feel like cheap toys to me. It also surprises me that virtually nobody goes beyond the 61 keys as many VST instruments stretch out further than that by the time keyswitches and stuff are included. It can't be just me that would willingly pay more for a  decent quality 73 or 76 key version, or can it? 

Word, though I prefer a 61 key but yeah there's very few high end offering for even 61 key much less 70+ key. Most midi keyboards today are marketed for bedroom electronic producers who use them to maybe play a few chords here and there but are mostly triggering stuff and thus don't mind the often tiny slender keys that I hate. There's a ton of those types of controllers and hardly any of the other. I had an Arturia KeyLab mkii 61 for a second and those keys literally bent down when pressed all the way and without much pressure either, just cheap @ss plastic keys on a $500 controller what a pos. We talked about this before but for me the only real controllers worth getting is that NI S61 and the Novation SL61 Mkiii. The NI is too stripped compared to the Novation. Afaik there's litteraly nothing better in that league than those two right now. I like the Novation Sl61 so I'm not really complaining but it'd be nice if there was some more choice as right now the ratio between those types of controllers and these cheap ones that keep coming out is like 1:30 or something. 

Pisses me off but back in the day there were large controllers being made all over by Alesis, Kurzweil etc. Yeah you can spend some money and get a good piano action controller today from Nord Lead or somewhere but I want the features that these cheap controllers have but in a high end large controller with Fatars and right now there's literally just TWO of that kind wtf 

18 minutes ago, Christian Jones said:

Pisses me off but back in the day there were large controllers being made all over by Alesis, Kurzweil etc. Yeah you can spend some money and get a good piano action controller today from Nord Lead or somewhere but I want the features that these cheap controllers have but in a high end large controller with Fatars and right now there's literally just TWO of that kind wtf 

The other thing that gets me is I would like a synth action keyboard with more than 61 keys. This, for me, is mainly because a lot of Kontakt instruments have keyswitches and getting the full range of the instrument and the keyswitches available at the same time is often not possible.  Keyboard manufactures seem to work on the assumption that only piano players would want more than 61 keys.

I have a AKAI mini keyboard on top my NI S61 to get access to keyswitches.

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1

On 6/18/2020 at 10:25 AM, cclarry said:

Wow, I like that it's cheap! Finally! The 61 keys' price is less than the double of the price of the 25 keys'

43 minutes ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I have a AKAI mini keyboard on top my NI S61 to get access to keyswitches.

That's not a bad idea for key switches actually. How are you assigning the key switches to it, by zoning or their own midi channel ? 

Edited by Christian Jones

May have to look at this, though my current Launchkey 61 is less than a year old.  My older 25 and 49 still work great and I don't use Ableton enough to justify an upgrade.  

I think my next one may be on of those NI 32 key ones. They look perfect for travel.  My Launchkey 25 is missing the mod wheel.  I would really like a mod wheel. 

Edit - the 25 key now has a mod wheel - nice! 

Edited by Dzilizzi
added stuff

Having owned a Launchkey 49 (mk II) the single high point it has is its weight.
The keys are kind of bad (though above those found in Berhinger's controllers), the velocity is meh, the drum pads are meh, the encoders and faders are meh.
And honestly, € 230 is relatively on the high end for its intended audience, which seems to be bedroom producers just striking out.
It's also not very well integrated with FL studio, the DAW a fledgling producer is likely to use. 

Though honestly in this price range, there's not much else to recommend either: Nektar Impact LX61, the Alesis VI61 (it has aftertouch) or NI's A61.

Edited by Cristian

14 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

That's not a bad idea for key switches actually. How are you assigning the key switches to it, by zoning or their own midi channel ? 

I just transpose it to the range of the keyswitches.  I got the idea from a Jordan Rudess demo where he was using one.

Edited by Vernon Barnes

2 hours ago, Vernon Barnes said:

I just transpose it to the range of the keyswitches.  I got the idea from a Jordan Rudess demo where he was using one.

Slightly OT, but I find the M-Audio keystation mini 32 perfect for keyswitches - it's the same length as a standard computer keyboard, and the action is surprisingly good for such a small keyboard:
image.png.25c5162d0efdce13127733d185cb7124.png

I've put extra stick-on rubber feet at the bottom so it fits nicely over my laptop keyboard or trackpad without hitting anything,  so I can literally use it on my lap while on the go.

The only thing I'd wish for on this is a small trackball on the top right & mouse buttons on bottom right... 

On 6/19/2020 at 9:58 AM, paulo said:

The last controller I bought with a decent action was the EMU X-Board, but even those only went up to 61 keys. My Samson Graphite 49 feels good, but the velocity action is really hit & miss making it practically useless. The CME's were very good and did 76 keys - but they were huge and pricey. TBH If you're just looking for a decent 76 key keyboard, I'd look at a 2nd hand Roland synth like the XP80 (even the bottom of the range 61 key XP10 which was a sound canvas with keyboard had a GREAT keyboard)... or get a 2nd hand CME.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Christian Jones said:

We talked about this before but for me the only real controllers worth getting is that NI S61 and the Novation SL61 Mkiii. The NI is too stripped compared to the Novation

Hard to argue with that. It is weird that nobody seems interested in making more decent quality ones. People can and do pay big $$ for lots of sample libraries, but then only have cheapo keyboards to use them with. Doesn't make sense to me. I even considered getting a Roland Fantom 7,which is all kinds of ridiculous because it would be so OTT for what I need, but it seems to be the only thing that ticks all the other boxes in so far as having the full set of controls on the right sized keyboard. That said, I read elsewhere that  it doesn't play nice with CW. Roland seems to have pretty much limited their integration capabilities to Logic and Mainstage now.

The way I see it is that if I have to compromise, then I may as well carry on using the compromised set up that I already have. It would just be nice to not have to.

Edited by paulo
  • Great Idea 1

34 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

TBH If you're just looking for a decent 76 key keyboard, I'd look at a 2nd hand Roland synth like the XP80 (even the bottom of the range 61 key XP10 which was a sound canvas with keyboard had a GREAT keyboard)... or get a 2nd hand CME.

I'm not a pianist so it's not the actual keyboard experience that is the most important thing to me, I'm happy enough with a decent synth action, it's more the size of it, not just for keyswitches, but to take better advantage of the capabilities of Omnisphere WRT splits/layers, but I also want all the knobs/sliders/pads and preferably a Roland type mod wheel/pitch bend. What I would like is an "empty" Fantom 7 that would play nice with CW for sensible money. The current 88 controllers are just a bit too big for the space I have to play with.

First world problems and all that and I know that there are ways around getting around them, I just think it would be nice to not have to.

Doesn't it kind of tick you off a bit that Cakewalk/Gibson  didn't really partner with a hardware company to make a dedicated controller, except for when Roland owned them previously and released the A-PRO series.

I got the Cakewalk/Roland A-300PRO and it works, but using ACT in Cakewalk isn't exactly intuitive. A bit fiddly to set up. But even that's fairly old tech now.

It would be nice if Cakewalk implemented a more universal standard that would work fully plug and play with more modern controllers.

27 minutes ago, abacab said:

Doesn't it kind of tick you off a bit that Cakewalk/Gibson  didn't really partner with a hardware company to make a dedicated controller, except for when Roland owned them previously and released the A-PRO series.

I got the Cakewalk/Roland A-300PRO and it works, but using ACT in Cakewalk isn't exactly intuitive. A bit fiddly to set up. But even that's fairly old tech now.

It would be nice if Cakewalk implemented a more universal standard that would work fully plug and play with more modern controllers.

Yeah, c'mon Meng, pull your finger out and give us the quality midi controller keyboard we all deserve. We've already established for you that the competition really isn't up to much.

• Great Idea 1

4 hours ago, paulo said:

The way I see it is that if I have to compromise, then I may as well carry on using the compromised set up that I already have

What controller do you have again? Not long ago I had the M-Audio Oxygen 61 silver as my midi controller and I wasn't really thinking or complaining about it until it got wonky. So when it started glitching my plan was just to get the newest M Audio oxygen 61 which is just a couple hundred bucks, but then I started researching and reading and you know how that goes and before long I was ready to spend $700 on a midi controller, that Novation sl61 mkiii lol. It went from what was supposed to be just as simple upgrade from the old Silver M-Audio oxygen to spending several hundred more on something  better. But you know you go down that road researching something and it's hard to come back and now you have to have the best but if that cheap M-Audio silver never acted up on me I'd still be using it today w/o thinking about it. Is what it is. 

Edited by Christian Jones
don't know