Setting NOW time to start / end of a clip

Brian Westhead

Question

Is there a way to set the NOW time to the start or end of a clip?  The main reason for this is to copy a clip from one track to another.  Unless there is a better way I have to line up the NOW time manually to the start of the clip, do 'Copy', select destination track and Paste.

I use so many similar-looking editors I get confused and Adobe Premiere just moves between clip boundaries with Page Up/Down (maybe you need it more with video...)

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Brian Westhead said:

Is there a way to set the NOW time to the start or end of a clip?  The main reason for this is to copy a clip from one track to another.  Unless there is a better way I have to line up the NOW time manually to the start of the clip, do 'Copy', select destination track and Paste.

I use so many similar-looking editors I get confused and Adobe Premiere just moves between clip boundaries with Page Up/Down (maybe you need it more with video...)

holding Shift will constrain the clip, either vertically or horizontally, so if you wanted to copy a clip to another track, you'd hold CTRL + Shift, then drag the clip to the other track for a copy with the exact same start time.

3 hours ago, Jonathan Sasor said:

holding Shift will constrain the clip, either vertically or horizontally, so if you wanted to copy a clip to another track, you'd hold CTRL + Shift, then drag the clip to the other track for a copy with the exact same start time.

If I understood the OP question correctly, I just click on the clip I want to copy, making sure to click on the upper part of the clip, which selects that clip - highlights it, and I right-click on it, and then click on Edit > Copy, (just the events), and then position the Now Time where I want to paste the clip, and right-click on the track I want to paste the clip, just to the right of the Now Time marker, and click on Edit > Paste.

Bob Bone

Back when dinosaurs roamed the home studio, Go to From was bound to F7. That binding was discarded in X1, but the function still exists, along with similarly handy functions: Go to Thru, From=Now,  From=Start, Thru=Now,  and Thru=End (formerly F8, F9, Ctrl+F9, F10 and Ctrl+F10, respectively). I could not live without these and restored them with custom bindings.