Arrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! [TM]

It's happening.

Finally.

Backstory:

1. A couple of years back, I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my PC
  2. Being a bit of an apathetic Straummy, and although I had reinstalled the last release version of SONAR, I've never bothered to set it back up just the way I like it

Having got my S/PDIF interface issues ironed out (nod to Paulo), I'm embarking on the unenviable task of getting SONAR back up and running. The biggest pain is having to reinstall/authorise etc all my plug-ins and VSTis:

dYcbznC.jpg

kRlD7qb.jpg

Bre9T6w.jpg

0Dd97A8.jpg

See you all in 2021 😐

I've been through that pain... took me around 4 days if I remember correctly.

The last time I did it, I made a clone image of the disk partition, which has saved me no end of problems. I've had a few hardware failures that have caused the OS to die on me, and being able to restore saved me loads of time.

I strongly recommend backing up your disk once you've got everything installed.

• Great Idea 1

2 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I've been through that pain... took me around 4 days if I remember correctly.

The last time I did it, I made a clone image of the disk partition, which has saved me no end of problems. I've had a few hardware failures that have caused the OS to die on me, and being able to restore saved me loads of time.

I strongly recommend backing up your disk once you've got everything installed.

I'm definitely doing that this time (have Macrium ready to go once all this is done).

Because of the time delay since I last had a fully up and running SONAR, I've never really used Cakewalk By BandLab.

I have it installed and fully up to date, so long term I'm guessing it might pay me to abandon SONAR once and for all?

I'll have to do some research and compared SONAR v CbB to see what's missing/added.

I remember reading somewhere there's no Pro-Channel in CbB - is that right?

Anything else I should be aware of?

Steve, the general rule is to remove Cakewalk completely, install SONAR and all the plug-ins you want to keep, then re-install CbB.
That is so CbB will install everything in the same folders as SONAR and will 'see' where everything is at during install and be able to use them.
Easier than pointing CbB to all your different folders after install.

• Great Idea 1

7 minutes ago, 57Gregy said:

Holy plug-ins, Stratman! At least you can be thankful that you're not Bapu.

We're all thankful we're not Bapu. 😀

Good luck!

LOL 🤣

The trouble is I have loads of projects in various degrees of completion I've dragged over from my old Win7 PC and although it's not a complete deal breaker, it would be preferable if all (or at least most) of the plug-ins in those mixes were installed. Mind you, when I moved from Vista to Win 7, I just opened my templates and the projects I was working on and simply reinstalled any plug-ins SONAR said was missing.

For brand new stuff it's not too bad, as long as I've got Superior Drummer and a tuner locked to A minor I'm good to go 😁

• Great Idea 1

13 minutes ago, SteveStrummerUK said:

I remember reading somewhere there's no Pro-Channel in CbB - is that right?

Pro Channel is there, it's the paid for Pro Channel plugins (from the old Cakewalk company) that are not there if you don't install SONAR and the paid for plugins first.

Edited by Bapu
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

Ya know, upscale restaurants, really good ones, have very few items on their menus.   But the items are excellent.

Just saying, sometimes, less is more.

You're probably right there Robert. I think I'm only really going to need my PSP, Waves, Nomad and Voxengo stuff.

This covers installing SONAR and CbB

The key is to know what needs to be installed in order and what happens if they are not. 

The condensed version is

• advanced install using minimal installation of X2+X2a to get V-Vocal (there is an video in the thread about this)
  • install at least the Platinum program
  • install CbB

That is it for the items to install in order. Installing out of order usually means the most recent version of shared utilities is overwritten. The quick fix is uninstall and reinstall CbB.

At your leisure and in no particular order run the Platinum plug-in installers and use the advanced install option for X3 and older as needed to pick up plug-ins as needed.

• Great Idea 1