How have you used interval synth patches? Any examples I can hear where you used them?

Christian Jones

I don't know what these types of patches are called, but I'm talking about those where a single note will play a second, third or fourth etc (discounting octave patches). The real dissonant and augmented ones, when played in isolation can be hard to make sound good by themselves, so I'm thinking maybe over some melodic music those real distant and augmented ones may add some suspense or tension, but that they absolutely need something melodic below them to give that contrast and sound "good" it seems. While I haven't tried super hard, I've never been able to successfully use the real dissonant/argumented interval patches, which are the ones I'm interested in trying to use.

If anyone has used these types of patches successfully and have any music examples I could hear where you used them, that'd be cool. 😎

I guess the most famous example is Madonna's "Live to Tell" which uses the D50 "Soundtrack" preset in the intro.

The Sountrack patch is a simple fifth interval. There's been hundreds if not thousands of patches since that use that interval, as it's arguably the least dissonant.