Solving known issues. (Please try this.)

Will.

I'm writing this thread to help anyone with some system problems especially our veterans. I've read all over the site how users struggle with some issue's directly related to CbB and others not. So here's a few tricks and tips to help.

1: Try to keep your system up-to-date every week. Windows 10 has a scheduler build-in for you to set this feature automatically. 

2: Download all recommended cumulative Visual C++ (especially and i'm stressing, "dotNet3.5") updates for your windows build manually. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hjoOnybmpg

New Netframe Available: Download latest Netframe 5.0.2 here

Best Solution: Download the "All-in-one Runtimes" pack here. https://www.itechtics.com/net-framework-versions-offline-installers/

3:  How to check your windows build for windows 10 users: Go to your search bar, type in "WINVER" and press enter. This will pop up a little window with your current windows version.
For "windows 7" users: Go start and type in "CMD" or check out this link    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmiMXHsziPo

4:  Download and install your motherboard's "Live Updater" app from your manufacture's website. Go to their website and search for "Live Update app" trust me, this will help you tremendously - if not solving all your problems.  

5: Make sure you have the recommended system specification, to run CbB fluently. 

6: Make sure all your plugins are compatible and that all your analog gear drives are up-to-date. 

7:  Check your system for faulty hardware and disks. Optimize your hard drive and if possible - upgrade to an SSD disk. The faster your hard drive is, the fewer issues you'll have. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toLYV7th0L8

8: Check all your USB hubs. This might seems unrelated, but it does affect your system's performance. Especially if it's not plugged into the correct port. Make sure USB 2.0 hubs are plugged into the 2.0 ports, and all your USB 3.0-speed hubs/devices are connected to your 3.0 ports. 

9: Try not to use the color tracks if you don't have enough RAM or at least a 5th Generation CPU or higher installed, as this consumes a lot of graphics and characters causing known and unknown performance issues within the DAW. 

10:  Try and render/bounce every virtual instrument track to a waveform before mixing. Use oversampling only when you're happy and satisfied with the end result of your mix.
Some of these tips and tricks might be outside your systems capabilities, especially if you are still running windows 7, with the new Cakewalk Updates from 2020. 04 and later.

Unfortunately how this works is as follow. When ever windows release a new update, does not matter which DAW you use - it has to keep up with windows update. What worked in a previous release might not be compatible with the new update. It's engine constantly has to be altered/modified/update to stay fluently working or at least lessor problematic with the new Windows update. Though this being said - feedback from users is always helpful and that is why it is highly recommended to keep the "User Analytics" box ticked under preferences. 

I hope this will help a lot of users. I also want to say I don't work for Bandlab - I'm a user like everyone else. It just happened to be that I have dealt with some of these problems some time ago in the past, and have found some recommended solutions that works.  

W. ✌️

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, razor7music said:

Hmm. Not sure all the major W10 updates will play nice with CbB. I typically wait until I've read comments from this community before I do major W10 updates.

Well, there's a difference between a "Major upgrade" and a recommended cumulative update of your current windows build - not so? 😑   

Update and Upgrade (aka "Major") see the difference? We upgrade to a newer version and "update" a current build version you're running - meaning, if you're current version is 1903 you'll constantly be doing updates. If you want the new 2004 version of W10, that's an upgrade.  

Edited by Will_Kaydo

Yes, I'm an IT professional by day, but thanks for the clarification. I think that will help folks reading your post that aren't familiar with the difference. Personally, I don't want Windows downloading an update while I'm working on a project, so I do the updates manually.

What are the current thoughts on ver 1909 working well with CbB? Ver 2004 seems to have some high bar hardware requirements to install. My DAW didn't pass, so I don't have to worry about that one.

Thanks for the post.

On 7/17/2020 at 6:02 PM, razor7music said:

Yes, I'm an IT professional by day, but thanks for the clarification. I think that will help folks reading your post that aren't familiar with the difference. Personally, I don't want Windows downloading an update while I'm working on a project, so I do the updates manually.

What are the current thoughts on ver 1909 working well with CbB? Ver 2004 seems to have some high bar hardware requirements to install. My DAW didn't pass, so I don't have to worry about that one.

Thanks for the post.

With 1909 there were a lot of issues with Windows 10 updates running Cakewalk. Most older vsts constantly required you to a dotNET update manually. throughout the entire build of 1909 - which still remains a flaw in the build itself.

The 2004 for me personally? I find it to be heavily hungry on CPU and RAM, which also requires a 32 GB hard drive space alone for installation. So, you need to run an i3 5th gen' or higher to eliminate some of that sluggishness it will bring if you have a less powerful machine. I've been a program insider for Microsoft since 2016. Visually wise, the 2004 is great with fewer issues than 1909.

Which brings me to say, Cakewalk ran it's best on the 1809 build of windows. I didn't have any problems with it - also probably because I didn't find any problems with that version build of windows.  

I also have to add - I was doing all BETA testing on an H81M Msi motherboard, i7 3rd gen CPU, with 8GB ram before I did all necessary updates or upgrades on my studio machine to CbB and Windows. Since I bought this machine 3 years ago, I had to get an extra 8 GB just for the 2004 to run slightly smoother on the "BETA TESTING" machine. 

Thoughts: 

1909 build: Irritably flawed! I've reverted back to 1809 on my studio machine running Cakewalk before the new 2004 build was launched.

2004 build: Highly recommended! I find the 2004 build to have eliminated the use of "Jbridge" on certain plugins being used in Cakewalk. 

With all this being said. Certain outdated hardware attached also leads you to run problems. Therefore always update your equipment drivers too, before doing updates.

I'm running Windows 10 2004 build on my studio machine with Cakewalk 2020.09 update without any problems so far. 

Edited by Will_Kaydo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, twelvetone said:

Why?

Cakewalk is already moving away from Windows 7 due to demands that Windows 10 brings with running applications on it's platform and updates to Win7 not being available anymore (Discontinued.) 

This means software developers have to move in the direction Microsoft takes them. 

Most newer installations don't support Windows 7 anymore. 

Read here 1

Read here 2

There's a lot of topics here on the site about this. 

It's sort of good to know about optimizing computers etc. but I just updated  3 computers and 2 of them I rebuilt from a fresh install of Windows 20H2 

First thing I did after the fresh installs on both machines was run Latency monitor. It was right at the lowest points on all the scales. Basically very safe right out of the box. As I added software and a drivers for interface it moved up a little but still super safe. I had done Zero tweaks. Only thing I did in the end was disable USB suspend. I think a lot has changed and a modern system is very capable of audio. Perhaps even Windows has improved to the point of handling audio better than ever.  

I have both a laptop (i5) used for recording live work and a desktop (Ryzen) for studio work. 

On the laptop i keep the wifi on (zero problems) on the desktop its off. Both have a continuous power plan for their USB hubs. Other than that, W10 is out of the box.

After major updates i always uninstall then re-install audio drivers, so far no issues. I’m on 20H latest version of W10 for both machines.

Maybe i’m just lucky, but (fingers well and truly crossed) i’m doing great, zero issues.

Jerry

Edited by Jeremy Oakes
  • Like 1