Shortcut for opening VST on Instrument Track

Tim Flannagin

I have finally set up my Nektar P6 to run Cakewalk in a good way. However, there is one exception that would be immensely helpful for us ITB guys. I would like to see a shortcut (key binding, alt + key, don't care) to open the Instrument VST on a selected Instrument Track. It would really make the world a better place. Currently the only way I can find to do this is by clicking the mouse over the Instrument Icon. This means that it's one of the few things I can't assign to a controller function.

• Great Idea 2

On 6/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, Tim Flannagin said:

I have finally set up my Nektar P6 to run Cakewalk in a good way. However, there is one exception that would be immensely helpful for us ITB guys. I would like to see a shortcut (key binding, alt + key, don't care) to open the Instrument VST on a selected Instrument Track.

Maybe request this here:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/forum/8-feedback-loop/

• Thanks 1

HI:)

Some problems:

You cannot open the synth from the selected track, but that's a Cakewalk problem, no solution for this, as AZSlow said.

Focus_Synth_FX.spp

1 Button --> ACT_FX_Button

1 Button --> Next FX (or Synth)

1 Button --> Previous FX (or Synth)

Forget the other attached Buttons, I did some other test, which did not work:(

First you should assign Midi Buttons (CC, not Note) to these 3 Buttons in the Hardware TAB of AZController. Pressing ACT Button opens synth or FX Plugin of selected track. Pressing again should close the window. Does not if the opened synth is not the first synth from the rack (Perhaps Cakewalk Problem).

1. Selecting Instrument Track and pressing ACT_Button opens the very first synth, you can then switch next and previous synth in the rack by the Next and Previous Buttons.

Problem: If you have a FX PlugIn in the instrument track, it opens the PlugIn and you can only switch between FX PlugIns. If you click on a Synth window, then it switches between synths.

2. Selecting a Midi Track which has its output to a synth, it opens the very first synth of the synth rack, then you can switch between synths with the other buttons.

3. Selecting an audio track with related synth on it it opens the synth from the selected track, but not the FX PlugIn.

So if you want to open the synth on the selected track, you should use no Instrument track but Midi and Audio track splitted.

If you want to open FX Plugin, select an audio track with no synth correlation but Plugins on it.

I hope that helps:)

Bassman.

Focus_Synth_FX.spp

Edited by Heinz Hupfer

On 6/25/2020 at 5:02 AM, Heinz Hupfer said:

So if you want to open the synth on the selected track, you should use no Instrument track but Midi and Audio track splitted.

Focus_Synth_FX.spp 3.26 kB · 3 downloads

Hello Heinz,

This seems to be workable, however is a departure from what I'm used to. I will give it a try. Thank you for your effort!

5 hours ago, msmcleod said:

there will be a key binding in the next release

Ooh-rah!

Next on the lobbying list: if there could be an option setting for "Open Instrument UI when Replacing Synth."

And of course the perennial addition of "Replace Effect" to the Track Header context menu. 🤗

Ha, give us an inch and we want....more inches!

• Like 1
  • Great Idea 1