Jump to content
cclarry

Acustica Summer Friday is Coming!

Recommended Posts

Grr, been playing with Gold and Purple... idk if I need them... comparing with Pink and other stuff... sounds different, yeah, but I don't know if they would be my endgame or if I already have them.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Carlos said:

Grr, been playing with Gold and Purple... idk if I need them... comparing with Pink and other stuff... sounds different, yeah, but I don't know if they would be my endgame or if I already have them.

I like purple but still anyway believe what top mixers are saying the only real gamechanger is not any particular plugin but our skills ;)

But my GAS mind is whispering also 'but they help make it easier....' ;)

  • Like 2
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Piotr said:

I like purple but still anyway believe what top mixers are saying the only real gamechanger is not any particular plugin but our skills ;)

But my GAS mind is whispering also 'but they help make it easier....' ;)

@Piotr exactly... both are true 🙂. However keep in mind it is great to have different ''colours'' at your disposal, but not to the point of being overcrowded with the choices and lost in it.

I go like this: Buy few at the time to fulfil my appetite, spin them up thoroughly and learn them properly, and later on if I still find that I miss on something (realistically not just 'cause of GAS!)... I get me some more. This time around it was time for Ivory 4 and Bronze2. Stopped there!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Carlos said:

Grr, been playing with Gold and Purple... idk if I need them... comparing with Pink and other stuff... sounds different, yeah, but I don't know if they would be my endgame or if I already have them.

Love Pink, Ruby use them all the time... never got any Neve stuff from AA. From What I remembered Lime was my favourite of their Neve's. Didn't try Navy.

Edited by ZokZTM
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

@Piotr exactly... both are true 🙂. However keep in mind it is great to have different ''colours'' at your disposal, but not to the point of being overcrowded with the choices and lost in it.

Yep, I know it and hunting for different colors and the only  problem is there is infinite possibilities for different colors ;)

 

15 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

I go like this: Buy few at the time to fulfil my appetite, spin them up thoroughly and learn them properly, and later on if I still find that I miss on something (realistically not just 'cause of GAS!)... I get me some more. This time around it was time for Ivory 4 and Bronze2. Stopped there!

For me it is my wallet restricting me against buying too much plugins so not so strong with my decision but the result is about the same ;)

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

Love Pink, Ruby use them all the time... never got any Neve stuff from AA. From What I remembered Lime was my favourite of their Neve's. Didn't try Navy.

I started AA adventure with Navy thing and liked it. Having some Neve'ish emu plugins from different manufactures just first try gave me something more close to what I expected from Neve'ish emu.  But surprisingly subtle. 

But to be fair I could not afford real Neve gear so I can be wrong about expectations. It is probably kind of imagination game how I would like it to sound.

Anyway with Nave1 I am having strange resonanse issue when trying to push input hard. It is not present with Navy2.

Well, Neve is kind of special brand for guitar addicted people :)

However some people do not like it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Piotr said:

I like purple but still anyway believe what top mixers are saying the only real gamechanger is not any particular plugin but our skills ;)

But my GAS mind is whispering also 'but they help make it easier....' ;)

Speaking of skills (and thanks for reminding me AGAIN of this, lol), I found a very good video (with the one and only Kush guy) where he talks about EQ'ing vocals (and I feel it applies to everything) but not in the typical way, finally someone who gives a good insight and different approach other than "cut here, boost there, compress here, this ratio, this fast attack, this slow release" (which every single youtube video says, lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gls252xwcc

Right now I am seeing AA as a coloring tool, because even now with my Babyface PROFS (review coming soon Piotr, I have a GIANT list already of first impressions),
on the lowest buffer size AA provokes playback crackles (even ZL versions).
And one thing I don't like is having to add something AFTER the fact, I wanna hear how it sounds while recording.
(and GOLD adds this je ne sais quoi to guitars (EQ) that to me makes them sound thicker without losing the guitar essence (metallic barely fretted string sound).
Compared them to Softube Tube-Tech EQ (which probably is my "best" EQ) and Purple and Track5 Pulteq's and Pink.

But since now I got Vol. 4 too I don't know what else I would want (or even need, lol).

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carlos said:

Speaking of skills (and thanks for reminding me AGAIN of this, lol), I found a very good video (with the one and only Kush guy) where he talks about EQ'ing vocals (and I feel it applies to everything) but not in the typical way, finally someone who gives a good insight and different approach other than "cut here, boost there, compress here, this ratio, this fast attack, this slow release" (which every single youtube video says, lol):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Gls252xwcc

Thanks, interesting video. This guy is rocking. He is always very colorful himself . Funny and interesting as usual :)

His compressors are stunning. (thanks, Zo, because of you I need them all for some reasons 😛 

But about rules I also remember the most important one: if sounds good it is good ;)

 

Quote



Right now I am seeing AA as a coloring tool, because even now with my Babyface PROFS (review coming soon Piotr, I have a GIANT list already of first impressions),
on the lowest buffer size AA provokes playback crackles (even ZL versions).

 

Yep, the same here. workflow needed for them exclude them from extensive use. I am also on FF400 on lowest buffer getting cracks/pops with AA so need to go higher. Just discovered something is going on bad on most high buffer sizes with sound when applying AA :(

Strange it was not the case before ... I have Windows updates blocked... Nice... This is unpleasant GAS side effect... Buying more plugins, no time to use them all extensively and not noticed when my environment started to fail... :(

Thanks for remembering your promise ;)

Quote

 


And one thing I don't like is having to add something AFTER the fact, I wanna hear how it sounds while recording.
(and GOLD adds this je ne sais quoi to guitars (EQ) that to me makes them sound thicker without losing the guitar essence (metallic barely fretted string sound).
Compared them to Softube Tube-Tech EQ (which probably is my "best" EQ) and Purple and Track5 Pulteq's and Pink.

 

yep, this is where UAD beats competition.  External DSP letting run plugins without overloading CPU/RAM and breaking recordings.

I am wondering how works in practice AA implementation of client/server approach.

 

Quote

 


But since now I got Vol. 4 too I don't know what else I would want (or even need, lol).

 

No matter what is true just tell to yourself you have everything you need and stop to look at deals ;)

You will save lots of money and time and your soul ;)

Edited by Piotr
  • Like 1
  • Great Idea 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Piotr said:

No matter what is true just tell to yourself you have everything you need and stop to look at deals ;)

You will save lots of money and time and your soul ;)

And have no fun what so ever, or lovely discussions with the super nice gals and chaps here... 🙂

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Piotr said:

Just discovered something is going on bad on most high buffer sizes with sound when applying AA

Sorry ;(

I like AA quite a bit but it feels we need a whole building full of computers to run them at lowest buffer size (I can run as low as 48 samples!)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, ZokZTM said:

And have no fun what so ever, or lovely discussions with the super nice gals and chaps here... 🙂

True, haha.
I only visit KVR now to see if someone pm'd me about my IKM Total Studio Maxgrade (I am giving an amazing deal!) :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well key is

 

I always take my time to explain my students the real essence of production witch is a very dense and crucial "event" that we have no control other ...

Thing is when i start producing and then stop once i validate , i asked them what did i done ? and answer goes from beat makingt to creation ...

I then explain them that we create nothing !!! Human is as egocentric and with big ego to think he can creates something !!

They start to freak out lol ..... and i explain , yep creation occurs but in my head , coming from where  ? well at least we know it's not consceince based ...if you create with the sens of mastering everything you're just repeating stuff already done  , anyxway ...creation occurs in head , and what i did is what we call "production" witch the formalisation of something  non "real" .

And this very idea is unik witch means that in time + 1 it's not the same , so to get this idea formalised as it is (witch is what i call the instant truth)  Delta T is crucial !

That's why when i see one of you guyz speding 30mintutes looking for a kick , this show that you have no idea on what part of the "production "process you're in and what have to be done to achieve it !! 30 mintutes on a kik is ok during post or pre production (usually pre ).

Now all this to make em understand first to know what you're doing , then to know what to avoid and how to increase the quality of the process since you know what you're into (and the goal) !! This leads with the "Validation" process ....witch of course ,very few ogf them make ,since i see a lot of people with midi even in mixing stage !!

The problem being to be able to validate a production you need to know if it can lead to a final picture what was the original "truth" .

And you have to be sure that your printed the DNA of that Truth ...like i say to them : you guyz validate Cats dna and expect Dogs at the end !!

Why do i explain this here on the forum ?. because i then explain to them that to go from the Production to a finshed product is a tutff road that they still don't know , and to make this road easier, key  is : Shorten the distance !!! witch mean : QUALITY production !!!!

Conclusion is Carlos , Piotr and the team .... tools are crucial when you know when and how to use them , what prupose they will serve and if they gonna be usefull in the specific type of process , Production (i mean all phase from pre prod to mastering) is composed of several phases and each one needs a specific procedure with tools that serves different needs , and differents ways !!!

If you don't feel the need for something :

1) you're already covered

2) you don't know what can be its utility witch means work needs to be done to master your craft ;)

 

By the way mastering the craft is something we all do until the end !!

If a tool makes you gain some time : Buy

If a tool makes you inspired : Buy 

If a tool sounds killa but is a pain to use : ditch

If a tool in any sens makes your work more solid (cpu hit , stability ect other another one ) : buy 

If a tool you don't know if you need it : not buy !!

 

SORRY for the long post i wish we could tcaht live to talk those concept as this is where thing start to get real ;)

Edited by Zo
  • Like 4
  • Great Idea 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Zo said:

Conclusion is Carlos , Piotr and the team .... tools are crucial when you know when and how to use them , what prupose they will serve and if they gonna be usefull in the specific type of process , Production (i mean all phase from pre prod to mastering) is composed of several phases and each one needs a specific procedure with tools that serves different needs , and differents ways !!!

If you don't feel the need for something :

1) you're already covered

2) you don't know what can be its utility witch means work needs to be done to master your craft ;)

 

By the way mastering the craft is something we all do until the end !!

If a tool makes you gain some time : Buy

If a tool makes you inspired : Buy 

If a tool sounds killa but is a pain to use : ditch

If a tool in any sens makes your work more solid (cpu hit , stability ect other another one ) : buy 

If a tool you don't know if you need it : not buy !!

Love it. Specially when Zo calls me by my name (it warms up my heart... hahahah 😆😅🤣😂

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zo said:

SORRY for the long post i wish we could tcaht live to talk those concept as this is where thing start to get real ;)

@cclarry @Fleer @Zo @Piotr and everyone else...

Is this doable. Great idea if we could organise some kind of live chat group? Any thought, suggestions on how to go about it?

Edited by ZokZTM
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Zo said:

If a tool sounds killa but is a pain to use : ditch

Until you're on holidays!

 

13 hours ago, Zo said:

If a tool you don't know if you need it : not buy !!

Definitely ask your spouse first, he/she just might change your mind, swing it to the (only one possible) right direction!

Edited by ZokZTM
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ZokZTM said:

@cclarry @Fleer @Zo @Piotr and everyone else...

Is this doable. Great idea if we could organise some kind of live chat group? Any thought, suggestions on how to go about it?

It sounds nice however there could be some obstacles/concerns from perspective of wider group of people ...

1. Some of us (like me) have jobs (with different shifts) and different time zone than other guys so it could be hard to synchronize our presence in real time

2. My language skill is pretty poor what means while I can write more complex things not in 'real time' somehow  (meaning quite long time using occasionally google translator) it could slow down significantly 'live chat' experience unless I would be limited to sentences like: great, cool, ok what I can do pretty fast  ;)

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Piotr said:

It sounds nice however there could be some obstacles/concerns from perspective of wider group of people ...

1. Some of us (like me) have jobs (with different shifts) and different time zone than other guys so it could be hard to synchronize our presence in real time

2. My language skill is pretty poor what means while I can write more complex things not in 'real time' somehow  (meaning quite long time using occasionally google translator) it could slow down significantly 'live chat' experience unless I would be limited to sentences like: great, cool, ok what I can do pretty fast  ;)

That's why I don't chat live either!!! haaaaaaaaahahahaha

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hidden Symmetry said:

SALE EXTENDED ANOTHER 48 HOURS- Until June 26, 2020 (11:59 pm - UTC+2)

Nooooo...  I already have enough.  And they sent me another coupon....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...