cannot play utube when cakewalk is open

Jmus

Used to be able to do this. I need to record a sound into Cakewalk to study it's frequencies etc. If I open you-tube on its own it plays fine. If I try to then open cakewalk the program doesn't start. If I open Cakewalk first then Youtube won't play.

Help greatly appreciated.

Maybe you have the driver set to exclusive mode...

WASAPI Exclusive - Enhanced for Windows 10, WASAPI Exclusive provides low latency audio and direct access to the audio driver, bypassing the Windows audio engine. Only one application can access the driver in Exclusive mode.

WASAPI Shared - Enhanced for Windows 10, WASAPI Shared allows multiple applications to access the driver.

40 minutes ago, RobertWS said:

Maybe you have the driver set to exclusive mode...

WASAPI Exclusive - Enhanced for Windows 10, WASAPI Exclusive provides low latency audio and direct access to the audio driver, bypassing the Windows audio engine. Only one application can access the driver in Exclusive mode.

WASAPI Shared - Enhanced for Windows 10, WASAPI Shared allows multiple applications to access the driver.

Thanks for reply. I use ASIO so this wouldn't apply?  Have Focusrite pro 40 soundcard. Never used to have this problem.

Maybe since last Windows update (not entirely sure)

1 minute ago, scook said:

If Windows is setup to use the Focusrite as the default audio device make sure CbB and Windows are set to the same sample rate

How do I set Windows to the same sample rate? (Sorry to be a bit dim on this)

I have 44100 for Focusrite at present in Cakewalk

THanks

Depends on the OS

Google is a great resource for Windows related questions

I have replied to many similar posts on this subject here and the forum search is another good resource

When posting here providing OS and DAW version info (version numbers are more useful than just claiming to run the latest version) along with audio interface info (sample rate, driver used) allows users to give intelligent replies without having to guess.

Here is a way to get to the sample rate setting in Win10

1 hour ago, Jill Jarman said:

Thanks for reply. I use ASIO so this wouldn't apply?  Have Focusrite pro 40 soundcard. Never used to have this problem.

Maybe since last Windows update (not entirely sure)

Check the driver settings for anything that says 'Exclusive'.  

58 minutes ago, scook said:

Depends on the OS

I have replied to many similar posts on this subject here and the forum search is another good resource

When posting here providing OS and DAW version info (version numbers are more useful than just claiming to run the latest version) along with audio interface info (sample rate, driver used) allows users to give intelligent replies without having to guess.

Thank you. Will try it.

I run Windows 10 64 bit quad core processor

Focusrite pro 40 running at present at 44100 with focusrite drivers

13 minutes ago, Lynn said:

I found that I couldn't share CbB with Soundforge until I went into preferences>audio>playback and recording>and checked the "suspend audio engine when Cakewak is not the focus" button.  After that, I could use any audio program.

Probably the result of using the ASIO driver in both programs and the driver lacks multi-client support.

Very few Windows programs can use ASIO drivers. Most of these programs are audio or video editors.

For most uses, editors like SoundForge do not need to use ASIO drivers. They work fine using regular Windows drivers.

Few web browsers support ASIO and for most uses these too can get away with using Windows audio drivers.

Using regular Windows audio drivers when possible eliminates competition for the ASIO driver.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Lynn said:

I found that I couldn't share CbB with Soundforge until I went into preferences>audio>playback and recording>and checked the "suspend audio engine when Cakewak is not the focus" button.  After that, I could use any audio program.

Yes, I tried that but still wouldn't work. I will try the other suggestions and feedback later.

Thanks Lynn

I'd imagine most people have Windows set up to use their on-board Realtek audio by default for all the windows-related beeps and boops, browser audio, and whatever else needs annunciating, while using a Professional-ish ASIO audio device of some sort strictly for their DAW.

At least, that would be my recommendation.

4 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

I'd imagine most people have Windows set up to use their on-board Realtek audio by default for all the windows-related beeps and boops, browser audio, and whatever else needs annunciating, while using a Professional-ish ASIO audio device of some sort strictly for their DAW.

I have a dedicated DAW and like you say, its optimised just for that

1 hour ago, scook said:

Depends on the OS

Thanks Scook...that has sorted the problem! So I will save your post in case I forget. If I use higher sample rate in CfB then I can match the windows if needed.

My guess is that in the update Windows 10 'saw' the interface and set it at the highest possible sample rate....without telling me!!

Thank you again, you have saved me hours of research

Jill

22 minutes ago, John Bradley said:

I cannot speak for most people but my custom build DAW came with the Realtek chip disabled.

All Windows audio runs through the same interface CbB uses.