Addictive Drums 2 open hi hat

OldNick

I am sure this question has been asked, but all the threads in all the worlds that I have seen have seemed terribly confusing and as if everybody used other software and knew what everybody was talking about, or talked of CC# and such. I understand much of this, but it sounds messy. I would even go so far, except that the demo just plays an open hat.

If I play the demo beats (press the Play arrow when editing a kit, say), one of the included instruments is the Hi hat. Every now and then it, as you do, opens and sustains.

EDIT: I ensured that AD2 was playing an open Hi Hat rather than another cymbal, I set the Hi Hat to extreme EQ levels, to make it unmistakable and it was definitely the same instrument.

I have no idea how to do this in AD2! I even started to use one of the cymbals to fake it, but then I played a demo, and it made the hi hat open.

Anyone...please?

Edited by OldNick

I've never actually used AD2, but I have it. And I agree with you about Googling the open HiHat problem - all you get is people struggling with drum controllers.

To me it seems that there is a bug with the GM mapping in AD2. Playing A#4 does not trigger a hit, even though it works in the GUI. You can use the "alternative" notes:
A#9 - Fully open
B9 - 3/4 open
C10 - 1/2 open

G#9 to E10 are various HiHat sounds. In AD2, click the ?  on the top right.  Select Map Window. Top left Map Preset GM. Then on the right it shows you all the mapping.

Except that A#4 does not work in real life.

Because Cakewalk starts at C1 and not C-2 you have to add 3 to the note name they show.

If you look in your Addictive Drums 2 user interface, on the upper right side, is a '?'.  Click on that, and then click on Map Window, and you will see the note numbers that your kit maps out, for all of the kit pieces in that kit.

Additionally,  AD2 defaults to using a Map called AD2 Standard, which is not the same mapping as you would have for General MIDI.  If you click on the drop-down arrow in the Map Window, at the upper left - to the right of the Map Preset, you can choose different factory-provided maps, or, if you made and saved any, you can also select one of your custom maps.  They have a General MIDI map you can pick, from the list.

And, there used to be a page on Noel Borthwick's web site, that had some links and downloadable files, that included a drum map for Cakewalk - of the AD2 Standard map from AD2, along with a Project Template that brought in an AD2 instance and the drum map, and a Track Template to do the same thing.  Anyways, that page is no longer valid, but it exists somethwere else - I think on the KVR site.  Nonetheless, I uploaded those components to a compressed folder in my Dropbox account, and here is the link to that, which you might find helpful, because using the AD2 Standard mapping, there are a LOT of mapped notes, for a whole bunch of different kind of kit piece triggered sounds (such as, in addition to the standard toms and cymbals and kick and snare, you also have mapped notes for hitting the metal shaft of the Hi-Hat, and that sort of thing).  Anyways, here is the link to what I uploaded - which are all the same components from Noel's page, and I have a text document in that folder too, that gives you the destinations for where to copy and paste the components.....

Bob Bone's Dropbox Folder With Noel Borthwick's AD2 Components - Drum Map for CbB, Project Template, Track Template, and such

Here is a link to the AD2 user manual - read the section that starts on page 40, about Hi-Hat implementation.

AD2 User Manual Chek Out the Section That Starts On Page 40 on Hi-Hats

Bob Bone

1 hour ago, Jacques Boileau said:

Oddly enough, I looked this up just a few days ago! It is also explained here, and that's where I found a zip with the needed files Robert is talking about.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Support/Knowledge-Base/2007013364/Setting-up-a-Drum-Map-for-Addictive-Drums-2-in-SONAR

Kewl - THANKS - I had gotten them from Noel's site, and when that went away, I put the components into a comressed folder, and uploaded them to my Dropbox, in case anybody else wanted or needed them.  I will try to keep this link you provided, for future reference, and I will keep my compressed folder on my local hard drive, but reclaim the space from my Dropbox account, since it duplicates what is already present at the above link.  YOU get a GIANT gold star for today.  :)

Yeah - those are quite helpful, to have a map for the giant AD2 Standard map that AD2 uses internally, by default, to map to all of their kits - to have the Cakewalk drum map for that is SUPER helpful.  As is the Project and Track Templates to bring in an AD2 instance mapped separately to different audio tracks.

Bob Bone

• Like 1

^^^ That observation is true for every drum sampler I've ever used.

Or, for that matter, every virtual instrument that strives to emulate real-life instruments. Getting a credible performance is almost always going to involve some CC automation, whether it's drums or violins. And yes, it can get messy. But don't let that put you off - the rewards are worth the effort.

• Like 1