What vocal effects processor might this girl be using?

What hardware do you think she has for those vocal harmonies? It's probably right there on the table and I'm not seeing it. If you did this in software, what would you use? Excluding recording separate vocal harmonies. Sometimes the effect of having a processor do the harmonies is a cool and desired effect. 

14 hours ago, craigb said:

81dNnSK-GHL._AC_SX425_.jpg

It's what she's touching at the very beginning (on the left behind the lamp).

I've got one of those. Recognized it immediately, after her first "yep".

It's a fun toy. Got MIDI input so what you're playing on a keyboard determines the synthesized notes. Also fx such as reverb, delay, chorus. And a looper, as heard in the video.

I even use it (um, used to use, pre-pandemic) in the band for background oohs and aahs. The grandkids like the "Arnold" preset (e.g. "I'll be back"). 

1 hour ago, bitflipper said:

I've got one of those. Recognized it immediately, after her first "yep".

It's a fun toy. Got MIDI input so what you're playing on a keyboard determines the synthesized notes. Also fx such as reverb, delay, chorus. And a looper, as heard in the video.

I even use it (um, used to use, pre-pandemic) in the band for background oohs and aahs. The grandkids like the "Arnold" preset (e.g. "I'll be back"). 

Have you tried the 4-part harmonies in Nectar 2/3 and do you know if they're as good as the TC? 

They are. Maybe even a little better.

However, I have to add an important caveat: artificial harmonies are a tricky business if you don't want them to sound fake.

While harmony-on-the-fly is OK for live performance when used judiciously, they sound pretty bad in a recording. Except, of course, when you're specifically reaching for an artificial-sounding effect such as what's demonstrated so beautifully in the video at the top of this thread.

I have only managed to fake acceptable vocal harmonies one way - using Melodyne. Even then, you have to fiddle with formants to make them sound natural, and probably don't want to feature them too prominently in the mix. Whenever I've done that, it's been to create a single high part, higher than I could ever sing myself, sitting atop three naturally-sung parts.

I had an older version of this. It was just "ok" for me. Nothing spectacular. On a few occasions I forgot to disengage it while talking to the audience.  That wasn't cool.

The main issue with these boxes is the harmonies are too perfect and end up sounding more robotic than human.

I, too, had the Rev 1 version. One of the things that got stolen in my burglary. Insurance bought me a new one, but it's not as good as the old one. Before that, I had an even more primitive version that predated the VoiceLive. Plus I've had a Boss VE-20, more affordable than any of the others but just as fake-sounding.

BTW, you can adjust the "perfection" variable.

3 hours ago, bitflipper said:

They are. Maybe even a little better.

However, I have to add an important caveat: artificial harmonies are a tricky business if you don't want them to sound fake.

Good to hear cuz I just scored Nectar 3 full last night at a crossgrade price of $80 something to do this in the box. Just barely got it too as technically that promo was already over and it was back up to $250 almost right after I got it. 

Yeah I record proper harmonies when realism is what I'm after but in this case I'm after cool harmony "effects" like this girl does in that video up there and I'm mainly a studio musician at this moment so Nectar seemed the better option with itb flexibility and much cheaper too. 

I've done that, too. Embarrassing.

When I joined my current band 5 years ago, I brought the VoiceLive along to the first rehearsal. The singer reacted with horror, demanding I never bring that "thing" back again. All our vocals will be live, she said.

Fast forward to four years later, and two of the four singers in the band have gone, leaving only her and myself as vocalists. One day at rehearsal, I quietly set up the VoiceLive and started using it without her knowledge. That went on for several months. She never noticed, other than to comment on how great our harmonies were sounding. The trick was keeping the fake harmonies -12 dB below the dry signal and turning off effects and auto-tuning. You couldn't actually hear the generated harmonies, just a general fattening of the real ones. I came clean after about 4-5 months, after which she became considerably more amenable to the idea of electronic reinforcement.

I also had to break it to her that my synth doesn't have any violins inside, either.

• Haha 1

This is the way I eventually used mine as well. Pushing those harmonies way down in volume.  In my case I joined a group with talented vocalists later on and didn't see the need for it any longer.

Now I'm back to square 1.  No vocalists. I had to let one go who couldn't sing well enough to make it. I was taken to task over it. I quit because they didn't trust me to make those calls even when I was the one designated to make those calls. It was a soap opera but I'll spare you the details.

So.........I might need one of those again. That is if I ever play out again.