Hi guys!  I've been using Cakewalk since the beginning of time (very close to the truth).  I have a LOT of projects that I have created over the years and I do not want to lose them or be able to open them up to work on them.  So, my question:

Would I be able to revert back to a previous version that is still working, or am I stuck with the latest build.  I looked through this discussion and I didn't see any talk about doing so. 

Thanks for the help!

Groovus

3 hours ago, David Owen said:

Hi guys!  I've been using Cakewalk since the beginning of time (very close to the truth).  I have a LOT of projects that I have created over the years and I do not want to lose them or be able to open them up to work on them.  So, my question:

Would I be able to revert back to a previous version that is still working, or am I stuck with the latest build.  I looked through this discussion and I didn't see any talk about doing so. 

Thanks for the help!

Groovus

As a long time Cakewalk user you probably know they have always made it backwards compatible, even back before it was Sonar you could always open older projects, so that hasn't changed. Where you should be "scared to update" is Windows itself, for example, the last Windows Update messes with audio . . . made a real mess I'm still trying to fix a week later.

. . . and I agree the very recent feature of being able to rollback is very helpful, though, if you wanted to rollback a really long way you would probably need an original Cakewalk CD to reinstall. When BandLab Assistant first started installing Cakewalk updates, there was no obvious download, you had to go find it when the install paused and prompted for user input. So, you can only go back to earlier BandLab versions if you actually went and found those temporary downloaded installs.

Or, just ask scook

21 hours ago, scook said:

yes,  I updated LaunchPad in Dec. 2019 to keep track of the extra dll.

@scook What was the change and the "extra dll" you refer to? I confess I was unaware parallel renamed versions no longer worked, not having to fallback. What would be the damage if you ran as before a renamed prior version ? Thanks T...

CW130Auto.dll in shared utilities is version specific.

It was unchanged from the first release until late 2019 so any CbB during that time could use any version of the dll.

Trying to use a newer version of CbB with a 2019 or older version of the dll results in automation failure.

Since the dll is versioned with the main program and subject to change without notice copying the program folder only is unreliable.

Even before the change to CW130Auto.dll there was always a risk involved in not copying the shared utilities folder. The thing is, while the program runs fine from any folder; there can only be one shared utilities folder. Fortunately, the current practice of providing a rollback option with every new release make the risk of a bad plug-in manager or scanner very low.

To facilitate having multiple versions of CbB available online, Launchpad keeps versions of CW130Auto.dll for each version of CbB installed and makes sure the appropriate dll is available in the shared utilities folder.

@scook Thanks for the info... I assume then that since splat still runs fine that it's using CW120Auto.dll?  Anyway to easily get hold of the prior CW130Auto.dlls?  I'm guessing from the Launchpad doc, that Launchpad only stores them going forward from 1st use with the currently installed version of CbB.

1 hour ago, scook said:

Trying to use a newer version of CbB with a 2019 or older version of the dll results in automation failure.

Does this mean that an older version of CbB will result in automation failure if run using the current version of CW130Auto.dll? Or is it backward compatible?

1 hour ago, Tez said:
3 hours ago, scook said:

Does this mean that an older version of CbB will result in automation failure if run using the current version of CW130Auto.dll? Or is it backward compatible?

Actually, what I posted was backwards. Running old versions of the DAW using the new dll in late 2019 was the problem. IOW, the new dll broke backward compatibility. Sorry for the confusion.

2 hours ago, Tez said:

I'm guessing from the Launchpad doc, that Launchpad only stores them going forward from 1st use with the currently installed version of CbB.

Yeah, it comes with a dll for the legacy CbB through Nov 2019 and has special logic to handle those versions of CbB. Anything from Dec 2019 to now, it relies on building the catalog  of versioned dlls based on what it finds in shared utility folder.

It may be the case that Dec 2019 to current may be able to use the current dll. I have not tested it. If the dll has not been changed in time frame it should work just like it did in 2018-Nov2019. If it does work, one could manually populate the "sub" folder under the Lauchpad install folder with the necessary dlls. I don't actually check the dlls in this folder but rely on file names. All the files but the included legacy dll use the naming convention CW130Auto-{version number},dll

48 minutes ago, scook said:

Yeah, it comes with a dll for the legacy CbB through Nov 2019

Just to be sure, the Launchpad sub folder contains the bucwa.dll which I believe is a renamed 2019.07 version of the CW130Auto.dll, and this dll supports all CbBs up to and including  CbB 2019.11? If so that's great as it means I can still run the bulk of my save saved cores if the need arises! Hopefully the current dll will support the remainder. Once again thanks for all the info!

Not trusting my memory any more tonight, I reviewed the code.

Guess I could take my own advice and read the Launchpad pdf. It has a section about this issue.

From the "Cakewalk Launchpad.pdf"

Important information about CW130Auto.dll and Cakewalk Launchpad

For some time, I made the simplifying assumption the contents of the "Shared Utilities" folder could be updated without impacting the DAW. In fact, updating the files in this folder was often recommended by support to resolve some issues (ex. installing a demo version of SONAR to get the lastest VST scanner).

This is no longer the case with CbB specifically when it comes to CW130Auto.dll. Every release of CbB has its own version of this dll and there is a chance the current version of the dll will not be backward compatible. Fortunately, through CbB 2019.07 this has not been a problem.

In order to prevent this from becoming an issue, Cakewalk Launchpad now stores copies of CW130Auto.dll in a folder called "sub" where Cakewalk Launchpad is installed. Cakewalk Launchpad checks the "Shared Utilities" folder everytime the program starts up and if it cannot find the version of "Shared Utilities" CW130Auto.dll in the in its backup folder, the program makes a copy of the dll with its version number appended to the name. Before running CbB or a project from Cakewalk Launchpad, the program copies the appropriate CW130Auto.dll to the "Shared Utilities" folder.

A new option has been added to the File menu called " Restore CW130auto.dll on exit." This option will copy dll associated with the currently installed version of CbB into "Shared Utilities" insuring the appropriate dll is available when running CbB outside of Cakewalk Launchpad.

CbB 2019.09 is the first version requiring a dll using the format CW130Auto-{version number},dll

Anything older than 2019.09 can use bucwa.dll.

Thanks for pressing for clarification.

Sorry for the confusion.

12 hours ago, scook said:

Thanks for pressing for clarification.

Your welcome 😁... I read the doc & checked the dll which were in agreement, so I was just hoping what you said was true viz 2019.11, and regarding 2019.11, I just ran a project using 2019.11 and the current CW130Auto.dll. The project has automated volume and send levels for a number of stereo output tracks and as far as my ear could tell they functioned the same way as running the project using 2020.05. If this type of automation was affected after the 2019.09 change for prior versions, maybe the current CW130Auto.dll will suffice for all versions from 2019.09 going forward?  Ya nevah know 😉