Bad Sound Quality (fixed)

Abigail

I just installed Cakewalk on my HP laptop running Windows 10, and when I try to record anything in the program, it comes out horribly distorted when I listen to it back. During the recording, I can see that the audio looks completely normal and like what I'm recording, but when I stop the recording, the audio becomes very fuzzy and noisy. My mic is recording at 16 bits and 48000 Hz, so I set my preferences in Cakewalk to the same thing, but it's still not working. I'm thinking it might be an issue with a disconnect in my driver type?? If anyone could give some advice, that would be very helpful. Thanks!

Edited by Abigail

So I fixed it before this got any responses, but in case anyone else is having the same issue, I changed my driver mode to WASAPI Exclusive. I'm not sure why it worked, but it did. I would say that if you've tried all else, just mess with the driver modes until something works.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Abigail said:

So I fixed it before this got any responses, but in case anyone else is having the same issue, I changed my driver mode to WASAPI Exclusive. I'm not sure why it worked, but it did. I would say that if you've tried all else, just mess with the driver modes until something works.

We posted at the same time. Glad its solved.

15 minutes ago, Abigail said:

It worked because of a combination of driver mode and its default buffer setting.

Running  too small a buffer can cause distortion and drop outs.

The WASAPI modes are good choices when running Win10 and using the PC  sound chip.

• 3 years later...
On 6/15/2020 at 4:39 PM, Abigail said:

THANK U THANK U