Higher Than Heaven

Douglas Kirby

More Kirby for sure! Good on ya.
Not a crit, but I "hear" a grinding Hammond for this one Doug.
I won't say I'd find a way to "trim" it down a bit (5:17 kinda long; for me).
Whoops! I did say........

t

Oh, I would add a moments silence on the beginning, its kind of abrupt.

• Like 1

I really like the arrangement and your vocal is always very well performed and presented. Some voices just have more "listenability" thank others, and yours has it by the truckload.

I'd say for a crit, you might solo just the hi hat, snare and the rhythm guitar together, and see if you hear any slight timing discrepancies? Your rhythm g is maybe played just a bit more straight-time than the drums are shuffling - I don't know, might be worth a check. I know I couldn't tell unless I soloed it.

It's a catchy melody and the song overall has a "classic" feel to it.

cheers,

-Tom

Edited by emeraldsoul
  • Like 1

Great vibe, really easy to listen to and well done. If I was going to make any tiny adjustments, I would  add a tiny bit more highs throughout, and I would turn down the guitar playing lead just a little bit and add more highs to that too so it is prominent via frequency vs loudness at times. Turn up the background vocals a little more cause they are nice. Enjoyed it as is a few times !

• Like 1

DeeringAmps - Hey Tom - I appreciate your ears - thanks for listening.

Old Joad - Thank you very much for listening to my song.

emeraldsoul - Thanks for your crits - I appreciate it.

Bajan Blue - Thanks for giving my song a listen.

treesha - Thank you very much for giving my song a listen and for your crits.

20 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

I didn't think it was too long.  I listened to *to see you again*  that's an amazing song. I don't think I've heard it (have I?)  It's more lyrical than others I've heard.

Thanks David.  I posted "To See You Again" a long time ago on the old Cakewalk forum - I'm glad you liked it.

This is catchy Douglas - guitars sound great but for me the mix is a little 'full on' and I kind of feel all the instruments are fighting for attention but - having said that - this gives it a raw and live-like feel that I rather like; so I'm not sure I would want you to change it. Maybe a live edit and a studio edit. 😄

Anyway, I enjoyed it so thanks for sharing. Andy

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndyB01 said:

This is catchy Douglas - guitars sound great but for me the mix is a little 'full on' and I kind of feel all the instruments are fighting for attention but - having said that - this gives it a raw and live-like feel that I rather like; so I'm not sure I would want you to change it. Maybe a live edit and a studio edit. 😄

Anyway, I enjoyed it so thanks for sharing. Andy

Thanks for listening Andy - I appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...

The bass seems to fill up the bottom, almost to the point of distortion; it kinds of crowds things. It also sounds like there's a hissing in the background, but not like tape hiss... hard to identify. I'd also see if you could move the plucked background guitar to the sides; it seems like it's competing with the lead vocal for attention.

Nice how the second guitar comes in during the chorus, giving it some depth and motion.

I like the song!

• Like 1