Eastwest Hollywood Orchestra and Sonar

xxrich

Greetings!  Purchased EW Hollywood Orchestra Diamond and just starting to look it over.  Been a longtime Garritan user.  Any pointers?  I saw a video that had a separate tracks for different string performance techniques - a logical help no doubt but could lead to a lot of additional tracks.  Anyone out there with thoughts on how best to proceed or other tidbits?  I haven't found a correlating template or anything yet either.
-rich

The keyswitching choices in EW Hollywood are kind of weak.  It's really setup for each articulation being on it's own track.  And yes that could mean lots and lots of tracks.  You can try and use the keyswitching instruments but you are likely to find the choices don't cover all the articulations you want/need.  Might be better to just start with multiple tracks for each instrument from the start.  If you do go with keyswitching I recommend having a separate MIDI track to hold just the keyswitches and a main MIDI track for the notes.  That way you can transpose and or otherwise work with the note data separately from the keyswitches.

In theory you could load up Play instances with a collection of articulations each on a different MIDI channel and inside CbB switch the MIDI channel mid-track/per-note to change articulations.  I've never done it that way, but it might be worth trying.  I usually just keep each MIDI track on a single MIDI channel, but in theory you can build a template with MIDI channel changes triggering different articulations.  Changing MIDI channel per-note has always seemed painful though.

I have posted it some times ago in the Feature Request Thread for PianoRoll - in Studio One you can use the Drum Editor to save Presets with Articulations, like Expression Maps. I'am new here - but perhaps it works with the Step Sequencer if you can deactivate looping, there you can save Presets too....

On 6/15/2020 at 6:21 AM, Matthew Sorrels said:

The keyswitching choices in EW Hollywood are kind of weak.  It's really setup for each articulation being on it's own track.  And yes that could mean lots and lots of tracks.  You can try and use the keyswitching instruments but you are likely to find the choices don't cover all the articulations you want/need.  Might be better to just start with multiple tracks for each instrument from the start.  If you do go with keyswitching I recommend having a separate MIDI track to hold just the keyswitches and a main MIDI track for the notes.  That way you can transpose and or otherwise work with the note data separately from the keyswitches.

In theory you could load up Play instances with a collection of articulations each on a different MIDI channel and inside CbB switch the MIDI channel mid-track/per-note to change articulations.  I've never done it that way, but it might be worth trying.  I usually just keep each MIDI track on a single MIDI channel, but in theory you can build a template with MIDI channel changes triggering different articulations.  Changing MIDI channel per-note has always seemed painful though.

Good stuff - just what I was looking for.  And a lot to think about!  Using Garritan I just keyswitch in the same track as the notes.

-rich

• 4 weeks later...

So back at it again.  Are there sonar friendly templates available for EW Orchestra Diamond?  Spent some time with my friend google but no luck yet 🙂

(funny when your best google search turns up your own thread:-))

-rich

Edited by xxrich