The new ARRANGER feature - Cakewalks version of Ableton Session View?

I also in the past have used Ableton and have to say I love the session view for creativity and trying out different clips as you build your project.

https://www.ableton.com/en/manual/session-view/

Up to now I was always hoping CW would show some love to the Matrix view thinking that this could be CWs Session View. BUT having used the new ARRANGER Feature with this background in Ableton, I think the Arranger view, once used like Abletons Session view IS CWs Session View.

So it takes a bit of a rethink in how you create a project/song. Instead of building it linearly you need to build it in a way similar to FL Studio/Reason .. creating PATTERNS along the time line, then making sections of each pattern in the Arranger feature.

Create every single different part of your track along the timeline rather than the actual song.

So instead of intro verse chorus verse chorus bridge chorus chorus create INTRO VERSE CHORUS BRIDGE and then any variations of same. Now you can experiment via the arranger feature putting your song together with all these parts & variations in a similar fashion to how you might use the session view in Ableton.

To an extent the Matrix view has that kind of idea BUT it has not been shown love for a long time. I wonder will the Matrix view in some how be married to the arranger feature sometime?

Edited by aidan o driscoll

12 minutes ago, aidan o driscoll said:

To an extent the Matrix view has that kind of idea BUT it has not been shown love for a long time. I wonder will the Matrix view in some how be married to the arranger feature sometime?

The difference here is that each Matrix cell contains a single audio or MIDI clip, then records the results of playing all your cells to an audio track.

An arranger section however, is a vertical strip of multiple tracks.

I guess the only way this could work, would be to bounce down the arranger section as single audio clip first, then it could be used as any other audio clip in the matrix.

You can kind of do this already, by creating a separate arrangement for each section (i.e. arrangement 1 only contains section 1, arrangement 2 only contains section 2 etc), then exporting all the arrangements.... then you can drag them into a matrix cell.

I take your point though - it would be good to make this more integrated.

• Like 1

@msmcleod I think there is potential there for Arrangement Feature tied in with Matrix view.

I think as it stands there is a sort of interplay via drag and drop from arrangement sections. Its a case of different thinking on how you might use this.

As an aside I also have been trying out LOOPCLOUD and started a thread elsewhere on this:

https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php?/topic/16026-loopcloud-anyone-else-using-it-with-cw-an-issue/

But particularly mentioned MATRIX View there using the Loopcloud plugins in the cells could be very interesting

Loopcloud has a 30 day full free trial