Feature request: PianoRoll enhancements

Sergei Pilin

Would be so nice to have this feature added that Reaper has - allowing custom note names displayed right on the piano keys. Simply assign a shortcut, select a piano key, hit shortcut, name the note.  This naming map gets saved just for that midi track. This is so convenient with modern sample libraries that have zillions of articulation switches.

Another awesome feature would be allowing to have envelopes in the midi controller lanes. I know you can assign envelopes for MIDI  in the track view, but having and editing them right within Pianoroll controller lanes would be some next level stuff, so convenient.

Notenaming.jpg

• Like 3

Hi there,

i'am complete new here. I have currently an other DAW and be unhappy with the Filmscoring Feature there.  So i start looking at Cakewalk. My first impression of Cakewalk is very positive, the Filmscoring Features i need should work fine.

The Topic above: allowing custom note names displayed right on the piano key - there is a cool workaround, which i used every time for Articulations: the Step Sequencer 😃

Define your Sequence: C1 - Legato, D1 - Vibrato, etc, save it as Preset, You can create for different Vendors/Instruments a new one. And it works perfect and efficient.

BUT all the PianoRoll / Midi-Editor missing basic functions are for pulling hair and these are at the moment not designed for speed working many hours on a 80 Track Orchestral Session with thousands of notes.

So, are there any Features in PianoRoll therefore in the pipeline? 

For every Note, Sequence you will edit, move, transpose, paint, split,  etc. go over the Toolbox or t-Button is boring. You have to do this 500 times and more in a hour.

Feature request: most every Note Function in PianoRoll: Select, Move, Cut, Paste,  Draw, transpose (Octave, Semitone, fifth intervals, etc. ) must work with Mouse, Right Click, Left Click, CTRL, SHIFT, ALT or a  Radial Menu. No left Hand moving. I found some Scripts here, which put transpose Semitones with  CAL Scripts to NUM-PAD 2 and 8 - sorry, no construction kit at this basic level, this functions should work as default like in all other Top 5 DAW's (Logic X, Cubase, PRO Tools, Studio One, etc,). It's a show stopper for me.

Ps.: It' s here on the List.

Thanks!

Edited by Roland-Music
  • Like 1

Define your Sequence: C1 - Legato, D1 - Vibrato, etc, save it as Preset, You can create for different Vendors/Instruments a new one. And it works perfect and efficient.

Can you please explain your workflow using Step Sequencer as articulation switcher? Let's say I have a melody line in Pianoroll done, and now I'd like to put C1 switch  before some notes in the middle of the line, and a few others to have a  D1 switch before they start. How could Step Sequencer  be of help here?

Feature Request: Expression Map or Articulation List for PianoRoll to assign/Display in PianoRoll keypad as shown in the first post.

After working a while DrumMap and also Instrument List doesn't work for this.  Expression Map or Articulation List  Edit / Change should possible with external Editor to use Copy & Paste Lists. Every top 5 DAW's have something like this.

Examples: <tab> as separator, CSV Conform

#Map 20 3 Cinematic Strings mid
10 legato on
11 legato off
12 live mode on
13 live mode off
14 arco
15 tremolo
16 trill m2
17 trill M2
18 runs
19 staccatissimo
20 staccato
21 marcato+spic
22 marcato+stac
23 pizz

#Map 21 4 Albion 3 - Brass Lo
88 short
89 long
92 long nasty
95 legato
101 fall
100 rip
90 fx1
91 fx2
92 fx3
93 fx4

• Great Idea 1

On 6/14/2020 at 9:24 AM, Roland-Music said:

Feature request: most every Note Function in PianoRoll: Select, Move, Cut, Paste,  Draw, transpose (Octave, Semitone, fifth intervals, etc. ) must work with Mouse, Right Click, Left Click, CTRL, SHIFT, ALT or a  Radial Menu. No left Hand moving.

I wish to help clarify your request for my fellow English speakers: you wish to be able to do everything without needing to use the keyboard at all?

As in a right click context menu or pull-down menu?

I am asking because this is important to me as well. Less so as I become a more experienced user. As with all similar editing and creative software, I find that once I learn my way around, it becomes much faster to learn the keyboard modifiers and shortcuts.

However, for the very important new users, as I was 2 1/2 years ago, I believe that it is crucial to be able to find every command available from menus.

So if that is what you mean, we agree 100%, although maybe for different reasons. For me, it's for new people to be able to use the program. For you? Do I have it correct? Or is it the other way around? 😄

Not sure if this helps, but on Windows 8 / 10 you can press Windows Key + CTRL + O to show/hide the virtual keyboard.

To get to it without pressing Windows Key + CTRL + O:

• Start Menu -> Settings
  • Click Ease of Access
  • Scroll down and pick Interaction->Keyboard from the left
  • Enable "Use the on screen keyboard" using the on/off slider

You can then resize/position it anywhere you like & access all the keyboard modifiers / key presses using the mouse.

https://mcmw.abilitynet.org.uk/windows-7-and-8-using-windows-on-screen-keyboard?gclid=Cj0KCQjw3Nv3BRC8ARIsAPh8hgLZTnMwKqATwdN9CccJWk2w6kEqtnTm3DPHePV_XiFWbCP201L-OaYaAr_BEALw_wcB

Sorry for my confusion, the first post is this Feature Request:

Expression Map or Articulation List for PianoRoll to assign/Display in PianoRoll keypad as shown in the first post.

On 6/28/2020 at 5:29 AM, Starship Krupa said:

As in a right click context menu or pull-down menu?

Reaper has a way to setup a cool Radial Menu on right click:
https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/assets/Reaper/RadialMenu.png

But the PianoRoll Edit is okay, i have mapped the most function to keyboard Shortcuts, so it works. Transpose Function are on NUM-PAD, with CTRL, SHIFT, etc.

The Note Selection  is something bad, no lowest, highest Note, no Length, etc. But again Expression Map or Articulation List is important for big Orchestral Instrumentation.

And DrumMpas, Intruments List, or Step Sequencer don't work.

Expression Map or Articulation List must be editable with an external Editor, not this awful "every Note edit click".

On 6/28/2020 at 8:19 AM, msmcleod said:

Not sure if this helps, but on Windows 8 / 10 you can press Windows Key + CTRL + O to show/hide the virtual keyboard.

IMHO nothing that helps here for Expression Map or Articulation List ....

On 6/14/2020 at 6:24 PM, Roland-Music said:

I found some Scripts here, which put transpose Semitones with  CAL Scripts to NUM-PAD 2 and 8 - sorry, no construction kit at this basic level, this functions should work as default like in all other Top 5 DAW's (Logic X, Cubase, PRO Tools, Studio One, etc,). It's a show stopper for me.

Moving notes up and down with the Num pad 8 and 2 keys works by default and have nothing to do with CAL scripts. And if you press CTL+8 or CTL +2 you move them by octaves. 

• Like 1

Thanks, this CALs was for repeat notes to end,  and better some transpose functions from the download page.

transpose.jpg.b9b494a1c4a27119b14cc25a68c391f8.jpg

On 7/2/2020 at 9:37 PM, JoseC said:

You can do much from  Process>Find/Change.

You can't select with this all lowest or highest notes from a Track in the PianoRoll (this is needed to select from Chord Notes for creating a baseline, etc.)

14 minutes ago, Roland-Music said:

Thanks, this CALs was for repeat notes to end,  and better some transpose functions from the download page.

transpose.jpg.b9b494a1c4a27119b14cc25a68c391f8.jpg

You can't select with this all lowest or highest notes from a Track in the PianoRoll (this is needed to select from Chord Notes for creating a baseline, etc.)

Try these.

SelectBass.cal SelectMelody.cal