SHADES OF BLUE

SupaReels Music

This is the kind of song that could be interpreted in many ways, much like some of the Rolling Stones early ballads.  To me, the  vintage vibe is strong and convincing.  It sounds like the backup vox is strong on character but a little light on clarity.  Yet, it all works to create a color, or flavor that is pleasing!  Nice work, Steve!

On 6/14/2020 at 6:14 PM, Lynn said:

This is the kind of song that could be interpreted in many ways, much like some of the Rolling Stones early ballads.  To me, the  vintage vibe is strong and convincing.  It sounds like the backup vox is strong on character but a little light on clarity.  Yet, it all works to create a color, or flavor that is pleasing!  Nice work, Steve!

Very kind Lynn .. you have the badge of diplomacy 😉 LOL

Steve

• 4 months later...

Hey Steve, you've got a very good song buried in an opaque mix -- please consider redoing this with a stronger guitar based sound -- your vox are very good -- and there are some interesting melodies but the mix and instrumentation detracts from the song.  Man, I'd like to hear a new version of this~~Allan.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response guys .. thankyou for the input as I was thinking of doing this again and it feels like it needs it ( Allan ), I have to do a lot of my mixes on cans ( DT 770  and DT 250s although I do finish a project on monitors ... nod to Bapu many thanks for the listen , the HD 600s are my dream cans, I have other open backs I use to reference,  but when I've listened to stuff through them ( other peoples ) everything is so clear and loud ...Gosh I think I have cans envy .. LOL

S

Such a cool song! A memorable melody with a really good chorus. I very much enjoy the tone of your vocals here. Reminds me of Donovan.

The mix sounds kind of reverby and thick and confused to my ears, like some of the instruments and are competing for my attention. There's also a sheen of harsh highs that detract from  the really nice retro vibe you're establishing.

Again, such a cool song!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Kevin Walsh said:

Such a cool song! A memorable melody with a really good chorus. I very much enjoy the tone of your vocals here. Reminds me of Donovan.

The mix sounds kind of reverby and thick and confused to my ears, like some of the instruments and are competing for my attention. There's also a sheen of harsh highs that detract from  the really nice retro vibe you're establishing.

Again, such a cool song!

Thanks mate, I did this many years ago and your comment is sound ...through time I have learned a lot  and would never have mastered this so badly, I will revisit this and post .. thanks again ..stay well

S

23 hours ago, David Sprouse said:

Loved the retro feel and  your vocals are first rate.  You could go so many ways with this in terms of genre.  Your songs stand out to me because of a certain authenticity  that must come from having lived the lyrics.

I always read your comments in high regard, you and Bjorn always seem to get the message in a song, which is refreshing and over the years of listening to your stuff I feel a bit of a fraud, in that you are a true musician as so many here .. I am a lyrics guy with frustrations that I'm not ... so I tip my hat to you and thankyou for listening 👍

S

Good songwriting and performances always trump production value.
Revisit? Sure why not? Do it all the time.
The Wind Cries Mary, one of Jimi's best; evidently he tried to revisit it numerous times.
Don't let getting this one perfect, keep you from writing two more.
Just my nickel98...

tom

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DeeringAmps said:

Good songwriting and performances always trump production value.
Revisit? Sure why not? Do it all the time.
The Wind Cries Mary, one of Jimi's best; evidently he tried to revisit it numerous times.
Don't let getting this one perfect, keep you from writing two more.
Just my nickel98...

tom

Thanks Tom. As usual supa advice😉 Like a big bruvver you are ( although I'm an old fart sooo it's metaphoric LOL )

S

• Like 1