"Never Make Her Happy"

PhonoBrainer

Hello again! I can't figure out if this mix is tilted towards the bass, away from the bass, or both! ???  I can't see the forest OR the trees . . . can someone point me in the right direction?  many thanks for the time and the listens, any comments are welcomed!   -Tom

• Like 2

@emeraldsoul Well Tom the first 19 seconds do sound like they are through a megaphone? then for me it sounds a bit boxy until the drums kick in at the 1:27 mark, which then returns to a slight boxy sound around the 2:00 mark.  There is a lift out of the boxy-ness around the 3:00 mark I think it is the choice of instrumentation.

Other than that it is a fun sounding and imaginative track, I do not detect a bias one way or the other on the Adam's.

You are also correct in the idea that you will never make her happy.

@Wookiee - thanks! I will check those times and see about panning or some overuse of effects. The initial old-timey 16 seconds is intentional, and kind of figures in to a video idea that might be coming . . . thanks for the notes!

@Douglas Kirby - so glad you dug the groove in this, thanks! There are a few spots where I think it's worthy of the "electrojazz" genre name! thanks forthe comment . .. 

@SupaReels Music - thanks! The title is kind of clickbaity, especially for our forum crowd perhaps?  :)

@mark skinner - many thanks for the kind comment! I think the bass is a tangle, because it's three different basses in three sections and I'm trying to get them mixed so earbuds can still hear some bass, without filling the lower mids with bass that robs the upper stuff . . . the violin is my first go at such a thing. I wanted more "fiddle" and less "concert violin", so I bit the bullet and bought Virharmonic's Bohemian Violin. The demo of course make it sound like playing in a beautifully phrased passage is a doddle. The truth is, you have to massage the midi with keyswitches. But I do like the sound, and I'll get better at it. I don't think what I have is perfect . . . and it's the result of hours and hours of violin midi editing, plus doubled a bit with EastWest "Gypsy" mixed fairly low.

@Bajan Blue - awesome that you liked it, thanks! I think it still needs some mix work and hopefully some clarity . . .

• Like 2

Reminds me of one of those big band music cartoons from the 40's. Very cool violin. I have the Bolder violin and I know how fiddly (haha) keyswitches can be. Good job with that. Impressive clarinet too.  Maybe too many Ne- Ne- in there would be my only crit.
Really fun and inventive song!

Nice Tom.
Very creative..

I am listening through my Focal Trios
I had to give a couple of listens as there is so much happening in some parts.
There is also a number of different basses playing?
I personally don't think you have that far to go...  the lower mids are in my opinion  (we all paint different pictures) are conflicting a little.
But there are so many different frequencies going on so its hard to pick out.

Loved the composition... well done mate.

Well, internationally, think you’ve got it covered . . .  Why do I hear Russian folk melodies in some of the piano work ?  Then Benny Goodman  meets a modern DJ, with hints of rockabilly and a big band  jazz background, by  the way the drummer rocks, who is that guy anyways ?

Bass in the mix ?  Sorry,  I’m too busy enjoying the smorgasbord of  styles to pay attention to the mix . . . and after a few listens, I’m with other commenters here, the mix is great, very little tweaking required.

If she’s not happy after listening to this . . .  she ain’t never gonna be happy.  

• Like 1

@Paul Bush - thanks, I'm wondering if you mean you actually jogged?  :)  In which case, sorry it was 5:50.   Thanks for the comment!

@bjornpdx - you know that "too many ne-ne-ne" thought occurred to me as well! Thanks for the confirmation! 

@garybrun - good observation, there is a lot going on in the lower mids. And whenever I put it on my good monitors, it sounds acceptly good! But when I move to headphones, it sounds like *****. So I try to add more to an already full 300hz so I can get bass in the headphones, and it turns the listen on the good monitors to mud. Something has gotta give! Thanks for the comments!

@90 dB - many thanks for the listen, glad you liked it!

• Like 1

@David Sprouse - Ah, two great references! I was aiming for Caravan Palace! But I could not ever be that cool or techie slick. But that was the target. I'd love to watch whoever edits the Caravan Palace songs . . . highly recommended!

@DeeringAmps - I appreciate it, many thanks!

@MBGantt - thanks so much, glad it was fun! And behind fun is a little bit of self-indulgence!  :)

@Lynn - thanks Lynn, I'm so glad you liked it . . . perhaps a bit much going on in spots? . . . there could be pruning I think.

@Old Joad - thanks for the comment, and old Berlin avant-garde music sounds good to me, are there any recommendations I could check out? thanks again!

• Like 1