I just also figured out that even just clicking on one of the drum map note mapping rows, or just clicking but not typing, in the Presets text box, and it thinks changes were made to the drum map - touchy - is no significance - just touchy.  :)

2 hours ago, Robert Bone said:

Not sure what you meant by 'The Project Drum map name change is just a side-effect.'  Please clarify - sorry :)

In a new empty project:

• Action: Open Preferences -> Drum Map Manager
  • Observe: No drum maps are contained in the project
  • Action: Press New to create a new drum map
  • Observe: Project now contains a drum map (with empty settings) called "DM1-"
  • Action: Press Notes:New to add a new drum map entry
  • Action: Edit the note Name from its default value of "0/C-2" to "Note Test 1"
  • Observe: We now have a custom drum map available to select in a MIDI track Output selector.
  • Action: Click into the Presets: drop-down list and enter "Test 1"
  • Observe: the Save button is now enabled and available
  • Action: Press the  Save button
  • Observe: A new preset file has been created under Cakewalk's Drum Map location folder called "Test 1.map"   (THIS IS THE PRIMARY EFFECT OF "Save")
  • Observe: The Project's drum map name is now "DM1-Test 1" (THIS IS A SECONDARY EFFECT OF "Save")

At this point, you can discard the empty project. Don't save anything.

Now, in a NEW empty project:

• Action: Open Preferences -> Drum Map Manager
  • Observe: No drum maps are contained in the project
  • Action: Press New to create a new drum map
  • Observe: Project now contains a drum map (with empty settings) called "DM1-"
  • Action: Click on the Presets: drop-down list
  • Action: Scroll down until you see "Test 1"   (This is the preset you created in the sequence above) and select it
  • Observe: The Project's Drum Map now contains one entry (with a note name of "Note Test 1" as per your saved preset)
  • Observe: The Project's Drum Map name is now "DM1-Test 1" indicating it was initialized from the preset "Test 1"

I hope this helps.

- Colin

Yup - great explanation - was up to speed on those pieces :)

I have finally gotten some decent sleep - last night, and again this morning, first good sleep in several days - I will submit the info related to the Insert From Track Template process breaking the connection between the loaded drum map, and the renumbered Addictive Drums 2 2 instance, because I don't think it should break that connection.

As far as dealing with it in the interim - or should they decide to not bother with it - the workaround of altering the loaded drum map Output Port entries to point to the renumbered 2nd instance of AD2, which for my scenario is Addictive Drums 2 2, that works fine, as long as the project gets saved - which saves the altered drum map's settings in the project, without actually overwriting the drum map in the AppData folder.  

IF the loaded drum map Output Port entries are altered to the 2nd AD2 instance, but the Cakewalk project is not saved, then there will be a message that may confuse folks, about saving the drum map changes.  (If I end up in this situation, I will just say No, since I didn't choose to save the project with the inserted track template anyways, for whatever reason.  All I am saying is that the message may confuse other folks who also end up there.

THANKS for your input - I think I am all set.  I will alter my subject line for the 1st post, to reflect 'resolved'.

Bob Bone