No Plugins Found

billp

I am running out of ideas

It might be time to email support@cakewalk.com

Working in Preferences > File > VST settings

Remove everything except one scan path and run a reset

If it does not show up in the "Sort by Categories" try different paths one at a time running reset each time

If it does show up in "Sort by Categories" add another path to the scan path and run a manual scan

Same results. VST scans successful, but only DXi's showing.

I'm out of ideas now too. Don't know enough about CBB architecture to dig in further.

Thanks a lot for your help. You've been great.

Yes i have them but they don't work anymore. I just created a new one, but it doesn't work either. I tried SONAR X1 just to see if this is a global problem, but X1 sees the plugins just fine. 

I'm a software developer. Usually i can suss out the missing connection but my intuition is failing me here!!

Is X1 installed on the same drive as CbB?

I don't have X1 installed but I do know that it stores its VST Inventory separate from CbB. There is more data in CbB but I believe most of the info is the same.

The CbB VST Inventory is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\Cakewalk\Cakewalk VST X64\Inventory

The 64bit X1 Producer VST Inventory is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Cakewalk Music Software\SONAR Producer\Cakewalk VST X64

Other versions of X1 will have a similar path

When installed on the same machine both SONAR and CbB use the same scanner.

the registry doesn't appear to be corrupt. the vsts are there, along with the plugin paths. it's pretty clear there is a link somewhere in the CbB architecture that connects the registry entries with the software and that link is broken. The VST scanner is a separate thing and it knows where to look.

BTW, i tried restoring the Library.db file from yesterday's backup, thinking that was the link, but it didn't have any effect.

I am current on all .NET/VS libraries through 2019, etc. and back to 2005, as that is my primary development environment. I stay current on all updates for business reasons. I also noticed that the standard SONAR effects are available in the FX popup menu. It's the 3rd party VSTs (2 and 3) synths and effects plugins that are not found.

Many of the SONAR plug-ins are DX format.

There are a few VSTs such as Channel Tools, the LP-64 EQ and Multiband, z3ta+, Studio Instruments.

Why the Cakewalk VST2 plug-ins should show up and other manufacturers do not is odd.

Running uninstall from BandLab Assistant and reinstalling CbB may be worth trying.

6hjkFI5.png

Or a rollback and roll forward.

Rollback installer is in this post

It is a mystery but I'm pretty sure they maintain a set of links to the various types of plugins, and the links to the internal ones are still intact but the 3rd party links are lost. This all started this morning when i fired up a project that had a new instrument (Ample Guitar SH). The plugin loaded, but when I clicked on track view to reset the position in the timeline, CbB hard crashed, no dump, and from then on, 3rd party plugins wouldn't show up. Ample Guitar support suggested I turn off OpenGL support in the plugin, which I did, but the plugin's were missing after that. I've now uninstalled the plugin and still get the same result.

I think the crash damaged a reference entry somewhere, maybe in the registry or in a cache file, that is used to find the 3rd party plugins and that reference is missing or corrupt.

Since I've been running OK for a few days, until this morning, on the latest rev of CbB, I am reluctant to back out to the previous version until I exhaust the possibilities with this revision. I just pinged support (I think) via Noel Borthwick's member page and got an automated response that asked me for more information. I hope they are responsive as you have been!

3 hours ago, billp said:

I  renamed it and it substituted a library with a modified date of 2016. Existing projects still do not find the plugins.

The folder is not compressed.

I believe the format of the database changed sometime in 2019, so try renaming it so that CbB can create a new one.

5 minutes ago, msmcleod said:

I believe the format of the database changed sometime in 2019, so try renaming it so that CbB can create a new one.

Thanks. I tried that. It created what looks like a baseline library dated 2016. Still no luck with the 3rd party plugs and synths. I restored yesterday's library with same negative outcome.

Edited by billp
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, billp said:

Thanks. I tried that. It created what looks like a baseline library dated 2016. Still no luck with the 3rd party plugs and synths. I restored yesterday's library with same negative outcome.

hmm... not sure what to recommend here.

Two or three things to try:

1. Change the plugin layout to manufacturer, check the plugins are there, then change back to category

2. I got a similar thing a while back (before I was staff), and I think I got around it by:

• Renaming one of my 3rd party plugin DLL's (some random free one)  to .dll.bak (e.g. SanfordDelay.dll  to SanfordDelay.dll.bak)
  • Doing a VST scan within CbB Preferences
  • Renaming the vst back (e.g. SanfordDelay.dll.bak back  to SanfordDelay.dll )
  • Doing another VST scan within CbB Preferences

I can't remember if this in itself worked,.. or if I had to do 3:

3. Do a full VST scan in preferences, with the "Rescan All Plugin-Ins" box checked.