Tidbit toward audio performance ...

Jon White

Just now, Jon White said:

Just one thing I've found in my little corner of the world:  disabling my CD/DVD device on two of my music computers has dropped latency and dumb stuff dramaticaly.  

Although I will say that it was only Cake/Sonar that manifested the problems.  Latency Monitor helped show the situation.  That situation did not seem to make Sequoia, Nuendo or Reaper fail.  Just our baby.

Yea wish i had some words of encouragement. For what it's worth, i've never heard of anyone (actually ever) disabling their cd/dvd player to improve latency.

Is your audio interface bus powered ? or plug in (AC) ?

I actually like what Reaper has to offer (especially in its way to manipulate audio speed). But i find Cakewalk with more features and easier to use. for what i do anyway (typical project is 30 audio tracks/5 midi tracks/50+ plug ins/Region FX). I've had good results in both DAW's (Cakewalk+Reaper). I switched to Reaper for a while when Cakewalk went down. But came back as soon as Cakewalk did. I have an Intel I7 AsRock mobo, 16 GB of ram. Nothing crazy. And a 1st gen Focusrite Scarlett (actually I've never even updated the drivers before LOL).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great ideas, all.  It creates "NTOSKernel" (or close, my spelling and caps may be wrong) in the top 3 list of resource burdens in LatMon.  The other two are, of course, NVIDIA resources.  Wish I had another brand of vid card, frankly.